conventional wisdom- buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmhillrph, Sep 17, 2013.

  1. jmhillrph macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2013
    #1
    I have decided to replace my (lightning-struck) desktop pc with my first ever mac- and I am posting here because I am leaning toward an imac over a mac mini.

    But I don't have an urgent need- so, if I would be better served by waiting for a possible new release, I could afford to do so. On the other hand, if "bang for buck" is greater now that the likely enhancement to be found in a new release, I am fine with going ahead.

    Spec-wise, I would be looking at a 27" imac w/3.2 i5, 8gb ram, 1tb fusion drive, gtx 675mx graphics + apple care which, I think, can be had currently for about $150 discount.

    So my basic question is- what is the conventional wisdom- would you anticipate there to be greater value in the current discount or in any likely coming product enhancements? I would like to keep cost (w/apple care) around $2250 (which current sales would allow or, I guess, $2300 if I get mouse + trackpad). Thanks for any insight and help anyone might can offer.
     
  2. Spacial macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2013
  3. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

    theRevIsNotDead

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2013
    #3
    It sounds like you can wait. Definitely wait.
     
  4. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

    crzdcolombian

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2010
    #4
    haha your looking at the iMac 27inch or the mini !!!!!!!!!

    That's like being I am looking at a Jetta or a Audi A8.(I was looking at the A4 and ending up getting a Jetta..... no money down 2 months free and 180 a month..... they throw a cute little korean or Ginger my way would have been the only thing better than that)

    If you can wait then wait new one comes out in October or November is the rumor. Tho you can get the current version used on ebay or craigslist for 300-400 bucks cheaper than getting it new.

    If your not a graphic designer why are you getting such a expensive iMac? The 22inch one is huge and plenty big for most people not doing ton of digital crap.

    If it's for gaming buy a base mini for $600 + a PS4 for $400 and get a decent display(not by apple) for $200-300 bucks that can also be used with your PS4 or Xbox 1.

    All in all your probably spending half the money you are on a 27 inch iMac.

    If it's not a gaming thing then just get the 21.5 inch iMac. Spending $2k on a computer when it's not making you any money seems like a ton. Apple care is nice but you can never future proof your tech. a 5 year old iMac is a 5 year old iMac. Getting the base or the top of the line model when your looking to sell it or upgrade it doesn't really change the future value.
     
  5. ravinder08 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2010
    #5
    get a refurb for the best saving
     
  6. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

    MiniD3

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2013
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    The answer is easy really,

    if you have and need a system right now, buy now
    If you have a PC / laptop / iPad that will hold you over, sure wait till after Xmas,

    YMMV but make sure you get what you need, sure, you can get ram later but you can't change the other components,

    I maxed out a 27" recently, budget made me wait for months and I survived on an iPad and the wife's 32bit old PC,

    Wasn't easy but I'm glad I waited

    The first thing you should establish is what you are going to use it for and make sure you buy a capable device for future needs, basically, "future proofing"

    ....Gary
     
  7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

    wackymacky

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    Location:
    38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
    #7
    I guess its what you get used to but I definitely appreciate 27" real estate. Not just for graphics but for complex spread sheets, and having documents open side by side.

    So if you can afford it and have the desk space, then why settle for smaller. (I can't believe I used to squint at a Lisa and Mackintosh screen)

    As for waiting; it is about cost utility. i.e. if you can get your work done on what you have with no loss of productivity then waiting 8 weeks seems reasonable, given the specs will likely have a slight boost and and likely come with OS X 10.9. and it will save you the effort dealing with updates etc.

    If the 8-10 week wait will cost you productive time then get one now, and enjoy it.

    I have a cycle of replacing most of my different pieces of hardware on a 36 month rota.
     

Share This Page