Convergence of iPhone & iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ryanide, Oct 21, 2012.

1. ryanide macrumors 6502

If the cellular models of the iPad (full size and mini) have a SIM card and technically a phone number (for AT&T's connectivity sake, as it shows on my bill), then why can't we just have the phone capability on the iPad?

Granted we would have a bunch of idiots holding huge iPads up to their head, but realistically it could be made to work only in speakerphone or by bluetooth. I don't like holding my iPhone up to my head and mostly only use a bluetooth headset or BT in the car.

I guess the other argument is that you are not always going to want to carry an iPad since it does not fit in your pocket.

Ok those points aside, I'm wondering if at some point we will be able to be device independent, like the way iMessage is able to contact us through our iPad, iPhone or Mac. If we could link our mobile number to our iMessage account and be accessed via any device, then we could switch easily between our iPhone or iPad to accept incoming calls.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person to think this.

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

You could just use Google Voice or Skype for your calling needs if you have an iPad with 4G. People will just call that number and you can just use a headset or the speaker to talk.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think a lot of people have thought this. And I think phone companies better start offering this, or they'd get run over by other solutions, such as Google Voice, Skype, FaceTime, etc.

Already, my mom prefers FaceTime to her landline phone, so much so that she is starting to forget to keep her phone charged. And if the iPad mini has a cellular connection, she is getting one, so she only has to carry one device -- the mini -- and leave her cell phone and iPod touch behind.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Great, another excuse for women to carry a larger purse still and block the aisle [shields up!] :D

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, in the case of my mom, the iPad mini will allow her to carry a *smaller* purse, as right now she is carrying the 9 inch iPad with her wherever she goes.

6. steviewhy macrumors regular

Because it's not in the phone carriers or Apples interest to provide all that functionality under one phone plan/device.

These folks gotta eat you know:rolleyes:

7. jigzaw macrumors 6502

It'll eventually all be done the way iMessage is done and you'll be able to use your phone number from ANY device with a simple password. One nice thing about that is the scary microwaves that our cellular service uses currently will finally be a thing of the past.

8. ryanide thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. "scary microwaves" ?? I wonder all about all this signal transmission and what it is doing to our bodies. Someday our grandchildren will be watching a History Channel special about it and think we were crazy. Like when they used radiation to take a scan of a person's foot to make custom shoes and they were wondering why their feet were falling off... ever see that one?

9. davelang68 macrumors newbie

I completely agree with this concept. I don't understand why Apple hasn't done it yet unless it's because they want people to buy TWO devices. Well I'm not gonna.

I rarely talk on the phone but when I have to I have to.

I don't care how big the thing is or how dumb it would look. I would just get a headset or whatever.

The lack of this feature is annoying because it is clearly possible and the only thing stopping it is either greed or stubbornness.

argh

10. jigzaw macrumors 6502

If you're not married to Apple, you can always go the Galaxy Note route, which is pretty damn big. I know what you mean, though. It's just the way we think. Most people still think in terms of "telephone" vs. "computer". I'm sure the cellular providers are also in no hurry to kill off their handset & contract business model where they're basically charging you around $100 a month in favor of a cheaper internet option. It will happen, and when it does, it's over johnny... It's over!!!