Convergence of iPhone & iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

There are many rumors of the iPhone becoming even thinner, with a tapered design and back matching that of the iPad 2 and iPod Touch. Now there are rumors of 3G capable iPod Touches ("iTouch"). If the iTouch has 3G, why would anyone bother with an iPhone? While claims of 3G iTouches have said that it would only use data and not voice, surely, minutes and texting are going to be "converted" to data type services by even carriers in the near future anyways (i.e. buy only data, no more buying minutes+texts+data), as they are already by third parties like Skype, Whatsapp, iMessage, ect.

Could this be the year we see only an iPhone or only an iTouch, or even a re-branding of the iOS mobile line altogether?

In the past, the only reason we had separate devices was mainly because the phone hardware was battery and space consuming, thus it didn't make as an ideal iPod as it didn't have much storage. However, with iCloud, that problem (in Apple's eyes at least) is eliminated. And Battery technology is getting better quickly and that's not forgetting Apple's battery life optimization.

Thoughts?

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I had considered this possibility as well. However I think that Apple will have to continue to create an iPod touch (for the time being) because even a low end iPhone would cost too much. The iPod touch has more of an "entry level" price. I think of the iPod touch as more of a transition to get people to get the iPhone. In the future I believe you are correct and these two products will be merged. I also think that you're correct about future phone plans being data oriented, but voice plans will have to stick around. People talk to each other and there is no standard currently that everyone could follow in terms of cross platform apps to handle VOIP calls.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I don't think you understand what iCloud is.

Also, the iPhone has an a-GPS, extremely better display, & better camera among other things. If Apple were to sell an iPod touch with all these features (which they currently do, its called an iPhone), it would cost the same as an iPhone.

A 3G iPod touch won't change anything in the way you're thinking. It will be just like a 3G iPad.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

how is the iphone display better?

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's an S-IPS panel instead of TN. Better colors, deeper blacks, wider viewing angle.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

iPhone 4: 3.5 in (89 mm), 3:2 aspect ratio, aluminosilicate glass covered IPS LCD screen, 960 × 640 px at 326 ppi, 800:1 contrast ratio, all screen layers (protective glass, touch sensor, display) glued together for strength and to fight parasitic refraction.

iPod Touch (4th Generation): 3.5 in (89 mm), 3:2 aspect ratio, 24-bit color, glossy glass-covered LED-backlit LCD, 960 × 640 px at 326 ppi

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It has IPS (better viewing angle, significantly better color/saturation). If you are able to, place an iPhone 4 by an iPod touch - you will see a difference. They're both the same resolution but that's only half the story.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Maybe a couple of generations from now, but not yet. The carriers and their networks aren't fully ready for VOIP-only devices.

9. aoifeee macrumors member

I agree, maybe in the future but no time soon.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

The iPod touch is for those who want an iPhone-like device but could do without the phone. Some people just can't afford the contract but still want it. For those reasons, I don't think Apple will phase out the iPod touch any time soon.

11. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

I was literally thinking about this 15 minutes ago :eek:

There have been some rumours about the standard new iPhone 5, along with a possibly low end model. Depending on how low it would cost, it could certainly effecitively replace the iPod Touches, but I can't imagine it would match the current iPod Touch specs will also keeping it the low end price, or could it, I'm sure not really? :p

But with the delayed release of the probable iPhone 5 to sept/october, the usual release date of the iPod Touch, it could have been planned all along in an attempt to phase the touches out. Or it could have been they just wanted to release the iPhone along with the iPod Touch at the same time?

Honestly, I don't have a clue. I wouldn't have thought they would have opted for this, at least not now. But if they did, sure I'd be quite suprised, but it would also make sense, but now? Guess we just gotta wait see I guess, could be in for a suprise, who knows ;)

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

I can see Apple phasing out the iPod touch, but perhaps in a few years when smartphones start costing under $250 without contract. If you see last year's iPod sales, it slightly declined compared to the previous three years. Everything runs its course. Look at the iPod classic. There might be a few who needs like 160GB of storage, but that is a small percentage of people. The sales for that model is practically non-existent. The portable media player market will become niche and Apple will just focus more on smartphones and tablets. This is no different than what dedicated gaming handhelds will have to deal with in the future now that casual gaming is owned by iOS devices and tablets. I can even see non-Apple tablets having their prices lowered thanks to HP's TouchPad firesale and Amazon's imminent entry to the tablet market for $250.

Having a tablet at $199-$250 would make having an iPod touch pointless and just redundant at the same price. I could see the iPod touch still existing if it drops to $99-$129 and then see Apple drop the iPod nano even lower. Apple still sells iPod shuffles for $49, so who knows? The iPod touch can then be used as the cheapest gateway to iOS and its iTunes/App Store ecosystem.

13. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yea, I do understand. While Apple isn't really giving us "true specs" on streaming/downloading, I think they will be telling consumers that they don't need huge amounts of local mobile storage as they can just download it on the fly when they want a file, and delete it after they don't want it anymore to free up space.

Yes the iPhone has some slightly enhanced components, but that doesn't make this theory impossible.

Same.

+1

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not impossible, but improbable considering all the carriers are going away from unlimited data.

Apple will supply more local storage if the prices of NAND chips have dropped since enough since the last device launch. That is the only deciding factor, I promise you.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The iPod Touch may finally kill off the iPod Classic.

16. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

That's true, but Sprint still has their unlimited plan and is rumored to get the iPhone ;)

Plus, Wifi is everywhere nowadays.

I don't think NAND has dropped that much. Isn't NAND also used in SSD? Both seem to be expensive still. I don't think Apple could maintain a good margin on a 64Gb model without selling it for $399.

Finally!

17. qtaran111 macrumors member

Perhaps a 3G iPod touch/phone is the "future product transition" mentioned by Peter Oppenheimer in the Q3 earnings call?

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

One carrier isn't enought to carry that vision you have laid out. And WiFi availability varies greatly depending on where you are. It's not "everywhere" most places, only in certain large cities.

I haven't checked on the price of NAND, but that is the only factor that will determine if we get a 64 GB iPhone....not iCloud.