Conversation with Apple asking about floor models...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b_scott, Oct 29, 2016.

1. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

So I called in to the Apple Store to check to see if they had floor models to test out for the new MBP's to make sure it's what I wanted. After 15 minutes on hold, the CSR conversation went like this:

Me: Hello, I wanted to see if you had the new Macbook Pros on the floor to test out.
    CSR: Hi, no it was 3-4 weeks and it just changed to 4-5 weeks to ship.
    Me: Thanks, but that's not what I asked. I just wanted to test one out to see if it's what I want to purchase. Do you have them there to try out?
    CSR: No, they were just announced yesterday.
    Me: I know, but they are available to order already so I figured they would be at the stores to try before you buy. Are you expecting everyone to purchase these expensive macbooks without even testing them?
    CSR: Most people are buying them on the name of Macbook Pro, which is very good. They are the same as always
    Me: The keyboard has changed and I need to make sure I like it, and I can only do that in person. The stores should carry them if they expect people to order them. Thanks.

Really bugged me. This is in Chicago, so if any place would have them we would. Apparently the only place to test them out is Cupertino?

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Flagship stores have Touch Bar models on display, but behind glass. So they're running a demo loop, and you can't touch them.

3. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

That's pretty crappy considering they're already for sale. And the CSR had a really snooty attitude like I should be thankful they were even offering them for sale.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Typical low paid retail employee.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The touch bar models aren't for sale yet, only pre-order. They'll have in store demos the day they're available for sale. You can't walk into an Apple store and try a new iPhone model that's available for pre-order either, don't see how this is any different.

6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Could be just someone trying to earn a living. Impossible to know their situation -- new, inexperienced, possibly tired of answering a repetitive request or maybe just a misunderstanding. The machines are new, and best to be patient and/or understanding in that the employee doesn't set company policies or strategies.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

Wait a while and they'll be available to try out. It's not like they're keeping them from stores for all eternity. They're prioritising actually shipping machines to customers over having display models in the beginning due to constrained supply.

- They are for sale, just has a long delivery time. It isn't a pre-order as with iPhones.

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

No, it's a pre-order. The initial shipping dates started at 2-3 weeks. That is by definition a pre-order. Plus they said right on stage you could pre-order now.

9. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I'm pretty sure they said you can order them now and they'll ship in a few weeks. Silly minor difference, but still a difference.

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Its not a pre-order officially. It says "buy" not "pre-order" like it typical of an actual official pre-order.

11. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Fair enough. Fact still remains it functions exactly like a pre-order. You can order today, walk into an Apple store in 2 weeks to try it out, and cancel your order with no ill-effect. You're under no obligation to buy if you cancel before the shipping date, and you're also not charged until it ships, just like with a pre-order.

12. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Absolutely. I think they will be in store by next week for sure - as display models.

13. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Try Best Buy. I think they have them on the floor.

14. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Touch Bar?