Conversation with Apple Rep on HDD Upgrade (Does NOT void warranty!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric., Apr 13, 2008.

1. Eric. macrumors regular

I've been lurking around here a bit since I plan on buying a MBP when the June update comes around, and I noticed a fair bit of postings saying that upgrading the hard drive will void the warranty. My plans are to buy a base MBP from MacMall with Vista Ultimate via Boot Camp, eventually putting in 4GB of RAM and a 320GB HDD. Obviously I wouldn't want to do that if the entire laptop would not be covered under warranty afterwards, so I went to Apple's site and to their chat. The first person was completely useless telling me that they only recommend an external hard drive, and she started out trying to get me to buy a Time Capsule.

The second agent, however, gave me the answer I wanted.

You are chatting with Josh, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Josh. Welcome to Apple!

Josh: Welcome back!

You: Hey, I have a question about upgrading the harddrive of a Macbook Pro. More specifically, how it could be done without voiding the warranty. An external drive or Time Capsule aren't options I'm looking to.

Josh: One moment while I research that for you.

Josh: I see, the online store doesn't offer internal hard drives.

Josh: However...

You: Western Digital has a 320GB 5400RPM drive that I know people have used.

Josh: I see, you can contact local service providers to see if they provide a option.

Josh: You can check out apple.com/buy for a store locater

You: There is only one Mac reseller near me, but they are more or less a music store and studio, I don't think they can do any sort of repairs or upgrades.

You: I know someone who owns a computer repair shop, but I'd assume that the warranty would still be voided letting him do the upgrade.

Josh: I see, have you contacted AppleCare on this issue?

You: No, I don't own a Macbook Pro yet, just looking ahead.

Josh: Let me explain...

Josh: The drive won't void your warranty, but it won't be covered by AppleCare and any damage done during installation will not be covered.

You: Oh, is that how it is? Installation does not void anything, just damages aren't covered and any problems caused by the drive aren't covered?

Josh: That's correct, also, the hard drive it self is not covered.

You: Some users on a Mac forum said that if the laptop was sent in for repairs that they would not cover anything on it because the label on the battery (which shows what the laptop came with) would show different parts.

Josh: I see.

You: Ok then. I'm glad that's how the warranty is - gives the end users a lot more freedom. =)

You: Thanks a lot.

Josh: When will you be needing your new MacBook Pro?

You: Probably not until the June update.

Josh: Not a problem. [Notice there isn't any response to me mentioning the June update?]

You: Have a good one dude.

Josh: You too!

So there we have it.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

where did you get the idea there is going to be a june update?

3. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

why bother with the fuss for an extra 70 gb From 250 to 320, just buy a passport, they are friggen sweet.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

those of us with an no space left on our 250s appreciate the 320

5. Eric. thread starter macrumors regular

It has been posted on this site. Montevina or whatever with the faster FSB

a) Try 120GB. 200GB to 320GB.

b) The 200GB will go in my PS3. The 60GB from that will go in an enclosure.

3) I don't want to have to tether crap to it if I don't need to.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

is speculation, dont hold your breath

7. Eric. thread starter macrumors regular

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

It was useful to me. I have the 200 GB HDD and I only have 20 GBs left. I need more space because I plan on putting more on my notebook and I don't want to use Time capsule because I only want to carry my notebook with me.

also, how did you get to the apple chat?

9. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Thats what i am screamin when i can get a 500gb then that will be in!

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm planning on doing this in the future, when I trade in my macbook for a pro. Seemed insane that the macbook has a user upgradable HDD (easy access through the battery) and the pro seemingly doesn't.

When he said it doesn't void the warranty, you didn't ask if the work could be done by yourself, of if the drive had to be installed by a certified tech though.

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Can anyone tell me how to get to the apple chat?

12. triscuitbiscuit macrumors member

This has been known for a while that upgrading your hdd doesn't void the warranty...

Also these reps are just as clueless as anybody is regarding new products.

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks for the detailed analyst.

Often, i just change the hard-drive so when i do return my system for repair my personal data ain't shared with a whole load of strangers.

Think if it as personal security/privacy, if you will.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No your conversation did not say anything about upgrading the HDD doesn't void your warranty, but rather upgrading by a authorize technician does not and the drive won't be warrantied by Apple.

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it's a little ambiguous...

You could have explicitly said, what if "I" were to upgrade the drive myself. Would that void the warranty.

For all we know Josh could be thinking about a authorized service center, which can do upgrades. Any damages caused by them will be paid for by them. Not apple.

16. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

by the way, as far as I can tell customer web chat is only for iPod and iMac. Not specifically the Macbook Pro.

unless you have further service access (i.e. certified technician)

17. Eric. thread starter macrumors regular

I mentioned doing it at a non-Apple store actually. I have no problems working with desktops but I'd prefer to stay out of taking apart notebooks.

Its on the Store section of the site, top left area by the phone number and search bar.

According to multiple threads on this site, people believed that changing it voided the warranty, hence my reason for this chat and the resulting thread.

It doesn't say "The drive won't void your warranty, but it won't be covered by AppleCare and any damage done during installation will not be covered."?

I'm pretty sure that damage done during installation by an authorized technician (assuming you mean an Apple one here) would have to be covered by the repair center...A person repairing a system is liable for any damages incurred when they have possession of it.

Again, I mentioned that the place doing it would not be Apple related.

Where do you get that idea? Its on the store page. Its main purpose is obviously to help people choose a product, but they can also find out technical information like this for you.

Sorry for the huge number of quotes. =)

18. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Non apple stores can be authorised repair centre's. Personally I would like to do it myself though...

Sales support has chat, actual technical support is only available via chat for iPod and iMac for some reason best known to apple

that's what the multiquote button is for, good to see someone acutally use it!:D

19. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

what I meant was, to actually chat with a representative online on apple's website, it only regards the iMac and iPod products.

20. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I recently called Apple regarding issues with my 2.4 SR MBP. The tech that I spoke to suggested a clean reinstall of Leopard. I told him that if I was going to have to do that, I wanted to upgrade the HDD. He said great, the Apple store can install blah, blah , blah... I then told him that I wanted to put in the WD 320 GB Scorpio. When he replied that the store wouldn't install that model, I asked if I could have it done by my local Apple authorized service center. He said that would be no problem and that my Applecare would continue to cover my MBP with the exception of the HDD. I then asked if I could install the drive myself, as I am experienced in this and he said no, this would void my warranty completely.
    I don't know the procedure Apple has for documenting this, or if they even have one, but I figure it's worth dropping the extra $150. that the tech is hammering me for on the install to keep the warranty. Machine goes under the knife at 10:00 AM today. Also, BestBuy quoted me $65. to do the swap, for what that's worth.

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

22. mikey.f macrumors regular

So it's true! Thanks for confirming this. For two years I've been too scared to swap my HDD, because everyone just kept saying that it WILL indeed break the warranty.

23. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

New drive is in and Time Machine seems to have worked as advertised. Back to the warranty issue. When I picked up my unit, I asked the tech who is also the owner of this shop, if this upgrade is documented with Apple or how they would know I had the drive installed under their parameters. He stated that there is nothing noted with Apple as far as hardware unless he is doing a warranty issue parts replacement. Therefore my receipt from him would be my fallback if I were to get called on it. This was my experience, draw from it what you will.