Conversations with Laypeople

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeblow7777, Sep 9, 2015.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I enjoy engaging in conversations on techie forums such as this one, but I find that the people who frequent sites like this one often forget or just never realize how little this stuff matters to the average person.

For example, here's a conversation I had with two of my coworkers today:

Me: "So, Apple is debuting their new iPhones today..."

*puzzled looks from coworkers*

Coworker 1: "Another one? Already??"

Me: "Well it's every year..."

Coworker 1: "Has it really been a year since the 6?"

Me: "Yeah."

Coworker 2: "How much more can they improve a phone that they need to release a new one every year?"

*Note: I think this question was meant to apply to smartphone makers in general, not Apple in particular*

Me: "They also may be debuting the iPad Pro."

Coworker 2: "What's that?"

Me: "Um... A better iPad, I guess."

That was the conversation in a nutshell. So does anyone else want to share any conversations with laypeople?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I find there are two types of lay people.

Those you can speak to, even if it's in general, watered down terms. And the type you indicate, who are clueless because they only care when it matters to them.

The latter type you can't talk to. They are only interested when it matters to them and when it does your advice is thoroughly sifted only for the parts they think are relevant or make it easier/faster for them. These are the people who want the 'cool factor' of the latest thing but none of the responsibility for learning how to use it. They never listen to anyone.

3. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 68040

I'd say that that view is a bit cynical. It's just that for techie people, we enjoy immersing ourselves in the tech world. We like using devices, talking about them, hearing about them, seeing them, etc. For most people, they're just tools, and if their complexity appears to overshadow their usefulness, they're not worth it. Honestly, this is a large part of the reason why iPhones are so popular. We all know that there are Android phones with better specs and more features, but to many people that's just more complexity without enough added usefulness.

4. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

We find that many others could really care less, about a lot of the tech stuff.

5. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Does that mean they care a little bit?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

But you are proving my point.

Anything that makes it easier to deal with complexity is what these people are listening to. Unless it's relevant to that their eyes glaze over and they never hear you. Even when they do hear you they struggle to understand and that's that you are being Adam Lisagore (look him up) to them.

Yes, you and I are techies and interested in this stuff. But today's modern world requires a certain level of knowledge if you want to function in it. Luddites still exist but it's getting harder to stay one.

And not caring about the 'technie' stuff can bite you in the ass.

7. digitalcuriosity, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

It really means they do not care at all or it means nothing to them.
    That might make my comment a little more clear.

8. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

You mean couldn't care less.

9. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I had a simple flip phone and was on Sprint at $43 US a Month,had it 17 years until Sprint sent me a notice after the end of the Month, I needed two items one a new phone two a new contract.
    So I bought my first iPhone the 4 and my new contract was not $89 US a Month.
    Until then I don't think I really gave much thought to the phone,I learned to like the many things I could do with the new phone, take pictures store pictures send text messages. But I did not like the higher cost and the 2 year contract.
    I think until something really impacts one, it has no real meaning.
    Example 2000 light years away from earth.
    Today I know many who don't wish to use a computer let alone a smart phone or tablet,but banks and credit card companies demand their use.
    So like it or not it's welcome to the real world of tech. stuff.

10. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Wut?

11. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

Wut up peep.