Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Does anybody know a good conversion calculator app for MacOS?
Something that can convert measurement units AND currency.

Ideally shows both numbers simultaneously (the "from" and "to") and allows entry into both
Unit selection should be very visual, quick, and user friendly.

I know the built in calculator is able to do it, but it's very clunky.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I always just use spotlight. Cmd+space to invoke it, write in whatever you want “5cm in inches” and it tells you the answer. If you’re converting to your system’s locale native units or a very common one you often don’t need to specify a “to” either.

For converting binary, hex and octal to/from decimal or anything like that I use my own menu bar program, HexHelper.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
@casperes1996 that might work ok for me, but this is for an older generation. It has to be a dedicated app and like I said ... as visual and user friendly as possible.

He's coming from the windows world. And the built in windows calculator is quite good.

Sarah_Baker

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2023
I always just use spotlight. Cmd+space to invoke it, write in whatever you want “5cm in inches” and it tells you the answer. If you’re converting to your system’s locale native units or a very common one you often don’t need to specify a “to” either.

For converting binary, hex and octal to/from decimal or anything like that I use my own menu bar program, HexHelper.
I like this answer, I did not know you can use Spotlight for such things. I personally use Siri to convert units. But I guess your method is clearly better as it is way faster and more precise.

Reactions: casperes1996

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
The built in calculator in macOS does all those conversions. Use the Convert menu!

Turn on paper tape and hit = to write the answers to the log.

Reactions: EdwardC

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
The built in calculator in macOS does all those conversions...

Please read more carefully. I know how calculator works. I already said it's not a solution.
It needs to be simple, visual and easy.

There are many great free options on iOS, but I haven't been able to find anything similar on MacOS yet.

Attachments

• 460x0w.jpeg
    460x0w.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 626x0w.jpeg
    626x0w.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 41

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015

I don't think Spotlight does currency conversions, which the OP wants. I just tried "convert $5 to euros" and it didn't respond. I thus use Google or Mathematica for that.

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I got curious and did some searching myself. How about this one? It seems to have the kind of clean, elegant interface you're looking for.

Even though I wouldn't use this personally (I use Mathematica for nearly all my calculation needs), I have to say it really is visually pleasing to look at, and seems like a perfect representation of Apple-style design: simple, super-clean, and ultra-modern. Compared to the calculator app, it's like they out-Appled Apple.

Though I don't know if you can edit the "results" section on the right, and I don't know how well it actually works. But you can do the free trial and find out for yourself.

1702091557331.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Analog Kid

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
No, none of these that require a lot of typing.
OK, that's a new requirement you didn't specify in your original post.
This is nothing like the interface I showed.

Yeah, I did look at your screenshots, but then I just gave up on them, because I couldn't understand how those calculators worked based on those screenshots, and you didn't explain them.

But do they work like this (using the screenshot below as an example)?: You first customize is the interface so that it displays just those conversions that you do most often. Then once that's done, if you want to convert from anything to anything else, you just enter a number on the right side, and all the other numbers, also on the right side, will auto-update to show the proper conversions. For instance, in the screenshot below, if you entered 300 to the right of CAD, then all the other numbers would auto-update to show the equivalent amounts in their respective currencies.

Is that right?

In any event, it sounds like you have very specific requirements, which is perfectly fine. Given this, have you tried searching Apple's app store for something that might work for you?

1702105311711.png

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Please read more carefully. I know how calculator works. I already said it's not a solution.
It needs to be simple, visual and easy.

There are many great free options on iOS, but I haven't been able to find anything similar on MacOS yet.

Completely fair.

I've got to ask the question here, posed correctly then. I understand what your requirement is, but not why your requirement is that.

Want to make sure this is not an X-Y problem i.e. you're asking about the solution rather than the problem you are trying to solve.

I mean hypothetically are you using this for display or teaching or do you need to screenshot it or what? If it's teaching you probably don't want to use this at all as it's a pretty hefty violation of what I'd call good mathematical communication. Also with respect to currency conversion, do you need an audit point etc for operating in a regulated market? Or are you just wanting this for arbitrary reasons? So many unanswered questions if we look at just the solution and not the problem.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I don't think Spotlight does currency conversions, which the OP wants. I just tried "convert $5 to euros" and it didn't respond. I thus use Google or Mathematica for that.
I use Spotlight for converting units all the time, including currencies. Yes it can. It doesn't do natural language processing of your query though, so, ironically, the word "convert" confused it.

USD to native currency is as simple as:

1702116194083.png

And to Euros:

1702116215053.png

The word "to" is optional. You can just write $5 EUR. It also works to fully write out "euros"

Or even a different phrasing like:

1702116271362.png

It honestly accepts a lot of phrasings, as long as the currency is the first thing it sees
1702116317381.png

Reactions: theorist9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.