Conversion for iTunes

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
My music library currently has audio files in various formats, some of which aren't supported by iTunes. Over the next few months I will be getting a iMac. I want all my audio files to be able to play in iTunes at the best audio quality possible. Is there a software that could converting my roughly 200gb music library to the same format in high quality?

Which format is best to use with iTunes and Plex?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks will this also convert my MP3's to AAC? Is AAC an accepted format by other media players if I choose to switch down the line?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
If the music is in a lower quality format, then you're not gaining anything by converting it to a higher quality. But yes, iTunes can convert your existing format to something else. If it doesn't recognize it, use WMP or something else to convert it to a recognizable format.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
XLD (free) can convert just about anything to anything (audio)
AAC is a music audio format, MP3 is a movie audio format. Proper media players support AAC, old and or rubbish players do not.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You will always lose quality when going from a lossy format (mp3, AAC, etc) to another lossy format.

I would only recommend converting the tracks that iTunes will not play (like wma).

Alternatively, to get the best quality you could use iTunes Match ($25/year). Any songs that are on the iTunes Store in a lesser quality than 256kbps AAC will be replaced. If you decide you don't like iTunes Match you can only pay for the first year and then keep all the songs iTunes has updated.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
AAC is a music audio format, MP3 is a movie audio format.
You can use either for either.

AAC audio is used by the iTunes store for their movies, the same is true for a lot of other steaming sites, but MP3 isn't used in the distribution of commerical digital movies at all (other than warez, as far as I know).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.