Conversion for iTunes

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by AppleDApp, Dec 3, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

My music library currently has audio files in various formats, some of which aren't supported by iTunes. Over the next few months I will be getting a iMac. I want all my audio files to be able to play in iTunes at the best audio quality possible. Is there a software that could converting my roughly 200gb music library to the same format in high quality?

Which format is best to use with iTunes and Plex?

2. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Thanks will this also convert my MP3's to AAC? Is AAC an accepted format by other media players if I choose to switch down the line?

3. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

If the music is in a lower quality format, then you're not gaining anything by converting it to a higher quality. But yes, iTunes can convert your existing format to something else. If it doesn't recognize it, use WMP or something else to convert it to a recognizable format.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

XLD (free) can convert just about anything to anything (audio)
    AAC is a music audio format, MP3 is a movie audio format. Proper media players support AAC, old and or rubbish players do not.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You will always lose quality when going from a lossy format (mp3, AAC, etc) to another lossy format.

I would only recommend converting the tracks that iTunes will not play (like wma).

Alternatively, to get the best quality you could use iTunes Match ($25/year). Any songs that are on the iTunes Store in a lesser quality than 256kbps AAC will be replaced. If you decide you don't like iTunes Match you can only pay for the first year and then keep all the songs iTunes has updated.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You can use either for either.

AAC audio is used by the iTunes store for their movies, the same is true for a lot of other steaming sites, but MP3 isn't used in the distribution of commerical digital movies at all (other than warez, as far as I know).