Conversion program for .wmv etc. to .avi other than VisualHub?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tonsorock, May 20, 2009.

1. tonsorock macrumors newbie

I have OS X 10.4.11 and VisualHub ver. 1.30. I know there were newer versions but they don't seem to be available now.

I am looking for a simple-to-use program that converts formats such as .wmv to .avi. VisualHub has done a decent job (except for numerous audio-sync issues when the .wmv clip being converted has the slightest freeze-up or tiling. Even though the original .wmv clip continues on and plays fine when viewed in WMV Player or VLC, the VisualHub converted .avi clip's audio gets off track at that point. Never found a fix for that and I've got a folder of about 50 "problem .wmv clips" that need to be converted in-sync).

Recently I've been running into apparently a new format of .wmv which VisualHub will not convert, along with some other newer or more obscure formats such as .rm and .nsv.

Is there a similar or better program that can do these conversions? Being tech-challenged and easily confused, I appreciated VH's drag-and-drop simplicity, along with the ability to correct aspect ratio settings, audio levels etc. The basic manual was laid out in an almost Dummies-style format, although my big gripe was the lack of any manual whatsoever for the advance features.

Any suggestions on a good program would be appreciated! I realize this topic has probably been covered here, but when I did a search for "video conversion," I got 506 pages of threads. There's only so many hours in the day....

Thanks in advance

2. masmullin macrumors member

FFmpeg

FFmpeg is a command line program which does exactly what you want. Of course, you have to compile it yourself

OR

You can get FFmpegX which is a nice GUI on a precompiled FFmpeg for you.

Google it.

3. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

You didn't mention whether it had to be free. Quicktime Pro will do all of this, I think it's like $30. I'm a fan.

4. tonsorock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies from all of you! No, I haven't explored other programs yet; I figured I'd start by describing what I want to do and asking for suggestions from the vast team of experts here who have used some of the programs and know which ones work well and aren't mind-boggling to learn. My mind is easily boggled; I keep it packed in mental bubble-wrap when dealing with computer-related issues. When I see the phrase, "Of course, you have to compile it yourself..." my mind reads that as...:eek:...what does THAT mean? Compile what yourself? I'm not generally an idiot, but I am a techidiot. I specialize.

I have no problem paying for a good program that does this, and hopefully has a really helpful, "to do this, follow these steps"-style manual. I'll check the ones mentioned out, and if anyone else has any suggestions, please weigh in.

I used to hear about Flip4Mac, but when I went to their site, I didn't see an all-formats conversion program anymore; just one specifically for WMV. I also saw one called 4Media Video Converter for Mac. I saw some posts about Handbrake, but a few I saw said they were "still learning how to use it," which gave me pause.

Thanks again for the assistance!