Conversion program that handles subtitles well

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by foz405, Oct 28, 2013.

1. foz405 macrumors member

foz405

I'm hoping someone can help me.
    I need a program that will handle merging srt subtitles into video files (mp4, avi, etc) and to to it well, with proper black outlines, and yellow or white infills that can be read against any background.
    I use to use Visual Hub, but that's gone, and I'm now using an Intel Mac (although I could use the old PPC Mac if I had to). Visual Hub had its limitations, and was rather slow.
    iSkysoft have got back to me and although their programs convert video very well, by their own admission, they do not handle subtitles well.
    Does anyone have any ideas ?

Oh, and if anyone knows how to handle sub subtitles, and merge them into a file, it'll be very good.

Don't forget, I take the mp4 file and load it into my set-top box and play the file on my TV. I don't, and won't view the file on my computer, because of the small screen, and lousy audio.
    Thanking you

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

You might want to check into forums devoted to Handbrake. I am not a direct fan of this software but it has a very large user base and they cover some challenges with subtitles.

Also there are other forums which show intermediate steps to get both media and subs in a format to be merged together. I think Doom9 might be one of them.

Good luck!