Conversion question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wrz0170, May 16, 2011.

1. wrz0170 macrumors regular

Hey everyone. Need some assistance in converting a regular DVD to play back via iTunes. I tried Handbrake but it will just covert one chapter it seems.

When I browse the DVD via Finder, there is a single folder called Video_TS and then under that 37 individual files. this DVD has 11 chapters and each chapter seems to have a set of extensions associated with it. (.BUP, .IFO and .VOB).

My question is how to covert all this to a single format that I can play back via iTunes?

If there is a better forum or place for me to ask this, please let me know :)

Thanks!

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Handbrake will convert all the chapters in the longest title by default. Check to see that the top row reads "[Chapters] [1] through [X]" where X is the number of chapters.

3. wrz0170 thread starter macrumors regular

I did as you mentioned and it seems to default to chapter 4 under title and when I hit the drop down, it has all 11 chapters. In the area you mentioned, it just says chapters 1 through 7. Thats the weird part.

If I converted, I would find just chapter 4 in iTunes.

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Why does it sound like you are confusing chapters with titles ?

An activity log from HB put on pastebin.com and linked here would be infinitely helpful.

5. wrz0170, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

wrz0170 thread starter macrumors regular

I probably am mixing. It's showing 11 Titles but 7 Chapters. It defaults to the title #4 in Titles section of HB. I double checked the menu of the DVD it has 11 chapters to browse from.

I will give the pastebin a shot and see if that helps as well. Thanks!!

EDIT: I did select Title 1 and it only allowed Chapters 1 through 1. So I converted and that title did show up in iTunes, but only that title. It did not convert the rest of the DVD. It almost seems HB wants each individual chapter/Title converted. I will move to the activity log next...

Edit #2 http://pastebin.com/ZLmjddxp HB activity log

6. dynaflash macrumors 68020

well, two things come to mind ... you do realize that HB will only convert one title at a time ? That said it should be able to encode all of the chapters within the specified title. Also if this is one of those dvd's that uses a whole bunch of dummy titles to fool apps like HB, HB may be picking a bogus main feature title.

How many titles in total does HB show in the titles dropdown ?

7. wrz0170 thread starter macrumors regular

It shows 11 Titles which matches what is on the actual DVD.

The DVD itself is not a high, professional grade reproduction. Massed produced and a label slapped on type.

Any way to combine so it shows up as one in iTunes?