Conversion question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mck22, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mck22 macrumors newbie

This is my first macbook (pro 13.3) and my first attempt at Imovie. I have a Panasonic HD video camera that can record onto the internal storage or I have a SD card that it records onto. When i sync the camera to my Mac and open it in IMovie, it works great. I am trying to move the original video from my camera to my western digital external hard drive. I hook both devices up and start the copy and past transfer. It moves the files over, but when I go back to open those files they wont open. What am I doing wrong? Is this a matter of changing over formats? If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks!!

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

iMovie needs to see the whole cards worth of files, not individual mts files. In iMovie you can select an option to create an archive from a card. Do this. Then you can open the archive in iMovie.

Alternatively you can buy conversion software to convert individual mts files to QuickTime AIC files that iMovie will use. Something like clip wrap Or something from the nice Shedworx people.

3. mck22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Martin thanks for the info. Is that the easiest way to get it moved over? Any other suggestions would be great!

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

You could import all the files and drag across the files that you want and delete the excess.

Or you could import only the files you want and set the location for import to the external drive.