Conversion Times

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OldStyleBob, Nov 20, 2008.

1. OldStyleBob macrumors newbie

Hello, Im new to the Apple scene and am doing my research on buying a mac pro. One of the things I will be doing on it will be converting avi's to Apple TV format(large collection) and I guess thats what will decide for me if I should get a 4 or 8 core. Are the conversion times significantly lower when converting, and I guess for that matter ripping DVD content? if the 4 extra cores add alot then it looks like thats the way I wanna go but I am unsure. Thanks in advance and I hope to be joining in on alot of discussion in the future!

Bob

2. djjclark macrumors regular

Depends if your converting software is multithreaded and supports multiple processors. Some processes are very efficient so multiple cores will provide a linear increase while others not so much.

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Use Compresser just set a quick cluster in Qmaster that way you can use all 8 cores instead of just the one. It literally makes it 8 times faster!

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Eight cores will be faster than four cores (by far) but I don't know if HandBrake utilizes more than four – but still, you can run two instances of HB and have them both use four cores apiece. No idea how many MacTheRipper uses, but MTR only creates a direct copy of the DVD, not a file playable by the ATV.

5. OldStyleBob thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses, can anyone give me any examples of amount of time it takes per conversion of like a normal 700mb avi file? like how long does it take with a 4-core machine and 8-core machine? am I making sense? not enough coffee today:)

6. LurchNC macrumors regular

Using Handbrake svn1797 (a beta) I'm getting 190-200fps on an 800 mb avi. Its 512x384 and 1:37 min long. I used 1200 kbps m4v file. Looks like it will take approx. 14-15 min.

I'm getting all 8 cores pegged (93% in istat pro)

When ripping dvds for the iPhone (480 x whatever and 700 kbps) I typically get 210-230 fps.

These are h.264 btw. Also keep in mind if you need to de-interlace it will take up to twice as long depending on the methods used.

7. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I've only been ripping straight from DVD's or DVD image files on handbrake, but it's incredibly fast and does use all 8 cores. Recently I had two instances running on two different hard drives, one ripping from a file the other from the drive and it slowed down a little bit.

Timewise - my Macbook 2Ghz C2D would rip a DVD at real time, 2hrs for a 2hour movie. Takes about 20 minutes on my 8 core. Image files (from MacThe Ripper etc) are about 25% faster than that.

Find a refurb 8 core, it's about $100 more than a 4Core new. I bought a refurb and it's fantastic.