convert 50gb itunes library to 192kpbs mp3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Final Cut, Nov 15, 2010.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

i have 50gb of music all mp3's most is 192 kpbs but I want to convert the rest from 320kps. Whats the best way to do this? How long it would it take? How much HDD would I save? Would all the info/artwork/etc be saved after conversion?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

iTunes can do it. Add the Bitrate column, sort by it, select all the 320 kb/s songs, and do a conversion.

How long it would take depends on your computer specs. You'll save 40% per song. Info and artwork will remain.

For optimal quality you should re-encode from the CDs but with 50 GB that would take quite some time! I also suggest using AAC unless you have a specific need for MP3.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use iTunes or even Max and then delete the old files via iTunes or/and Finder.

The difference in HDD space is 128Kbit/s = 16KByte/s > 960KByte/min > 56.25MByte/h, meaning if you have one hour of 320Kbit/s encoded music (140.625MB) and one hour of 192Kbit/s encoded music (84.275MB), you have a difference of 56.25MB.

4. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

what are the benefits of aac? oh and i would be using a thinpad x100e, lol. Waiting for my air...guess I can leave it on overnight...

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

AAC provides better sound quality than MP3 at the same bitrate. If all of your devices support AAC (most devices made in the last five years can handle it) then there's no reason to use the old MP3 format.

6. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Re-encoding 50 GB of music? :eek:

Yeah that will take a while.