convert a .me account to icloud now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by titof, Jun 21, 2011.

1. titof macrumors newbie

Anyone know if it is possible to convert your current .me account to icloud already?
    I'm running iOS5 Beta and it would not let me usw my .me login.

Also is there a way to merge 2 apple id's under 1?
    i.e.: my apple id a is used for itunes and my apple id b is my .me account

2. shandyman Suspended

No to either right now. Wait for official release.

3. 03jcrhr macrumors member

Does anyone know that if you have an old expired mobile me account (in my case a 60 day free trial) whether or not we will be able to use the @me.com username again?

4. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

im using my @me.com email now.

the one i made on ios5beta.

5. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

For those who have two Apple ID's, we have to wait until the official release. In the interim, this is what I have done:

1) I have a Apple ID attached to iTunes that has all of my purchases on it. That is the one I used for iCloud.

2) I have a MobileMe account that has my @me.com e-mail address. It also has my contacts and calendars.

3) There is currently no way to migrate your @me.com e-mail address to your iCloud account. You have the option of creating a NEW @me.com address for your iCloud account, but I have chosen to leave Mail off for iCloud. If you create a new one now, I'm not sure you'll be able to migrate your old one over? So for now, I leave my MobileMe on under Mail settings.

4) Contacts and calendars are in a similar situation, though you CAN migrate them to iCloud now. However, I would not recommend it because I ended up with duplicate contacts in the iCloud and there's really no easy way to manage it yet. So I've left mail, contacts, and calendars turned on for MobileMe.

5) There was a leaked PDF explaining how to sync your contacts/calendars to iCloud from MobileMe. You basically sign in with MobileMe and changed your sync range to "all events" so it has everything on your device. Then you turn off Calendars and Contacts in the MobileMe settings and it will ask you if you want to keep the data on your device. You should answer yes. Then you turn on Calendars and Contacts ON under iCloud and it should sync them all over to iCloud. However, now your MobileMe won't be modified when you make changes, and it ended up causes the duplicates as I mentioned. So I just went back to MobileMe and turned the iCloud calendars and contacts back off again.

Hopefully there's a better/easier solution once we get closer to release!

6. shandyman Suspended

it's been implied in various convos and documents seen from across macrumors. if you try to log in to mobileme with the old one it bascially says it can be converted to icloud, just not until official launch

nice to see that you read what he posted.... he said about converting his current .me email as in existing mobileme account. not creating a new one under iOS 5 beta.....

7. titof thread starter macrumors newbie

funny sidenote:
    I can not use my id used for purchases since its only a phrase not a mailadress :x

8. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Wait for the official release. Btw, to anyone who currently uses MobileMe, you can contact Apple and get a prorated refund for MobileMe since we now have iCloud for free.

9. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

english is my second language, i am teh sorry.

10. titof thread starter macrumors newbie

some more infos on that please!