Convert an existing managed iPhoto library to referenced possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac mac mac, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mac mac mac macrumors regular

Hi,

I have been using iPhoto for 2 years now, and my existing library is "managed" by iPhoto. Is there an easy way to convert my library from managed to referenced?

One possible way I can think of is to open up the iPhoto package, copy all the files to a new location (e.g. external hard drive). Uncheck Copy Items to iPhoto, create a new iPhoto library, and import the images from the new location. However, I am afraid that all of the metadata (keywords, location), events, faces, etc will not get transferred to the new library.

The reason why I want to switch to referenced is because I want to offload the images to an external hard drive. Also because I want to use Aperture to edit some of the pictures without editing the masters. Can anyone help? Thank you.

2. mac mac mac thread starter macrumors regular

3. thumpish macrumors newbie

can't see photos in edit mode..

first time here am having trouble figuring out how to ask a question - it being, after i download digital photos into Iphoto, i can see them
    in the library mode but when i click on them to edit, all i get is a big grey screen with a question mark in the middle; nor will they email. this is a new event - one month now thank you.
    my email is boxwellian@gmail.com

4. mac mac mac thread starter macrumors regular

You probably setup your iPhoto library as a referenced library. When you import pictures (File --> Import), iPhoto generates a thumbnail of each picture, and it's stored within the iPhoto library. The actual files may be stored in an external drive. If your drive is not connected, you can still view the thumbnails, but you cannot edit them because iPhoto cannot locate the files.

Are you pictures stored somewhere else other than your internal hard drive?