Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
my dad would like to work on an imovie project i put together for him. is there any pc software that can read a .proj file or someway i can export it? i'm trying to avoid encoding because there are subtitles, transitions, etc, that he wants to edit.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
my dad would like to work on an imovie project i put together for him. is there any pc software that can read a .proj file or someway i can export it? i'm trying to avoid encoding because there are subtitles, transitions, etc, that he wants to edit.

I doubt it, he'll almost certainly have to edit on your Mac, other than that you can export as a very high quality video format, which he can re-import into his PC software.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Some video editing system can import and export what they call an "EDL". These are not quite 100% standardized but all EDLs are basically the same thing. If you plan to do much collaborative editing it would be well worth it to use a Video editing system that can inport/export the EDL. Apple's Final Cut is one such system. All EDL based editors depend on time code being inside the video. Each frame is numbered. So the EDL simply is a list of what frames go where. The video editor is actually only editing the EDL which is a small text file. iMovie actually edits the DV data and is not EDL based

See here for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit_decision_list

Ok, the above is just a longer way to say that you need compatible editing systems. Tell your dad to buy a Mac.

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
as the resident expert in this field, no. there is no way. you can just do what I do and edit in post, or edit an exported video clip. and I personally detest anything to do with an EDL.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
If he has a PC than run OSX VNC on your mac, and have him connect using a VNC server to let him control your mac and edit what he wants. Or he can just tell you what he does / doesn't like.

What kind of editing machine does he have, or software for that matter? If it is a good one like Premiere Pro or something I would just export the video itself, high quality or on to a Mini DV tape and then send that to him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.