Convert Aperture Library to iPhoto? [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jsf8x, Jun 11, 2012.

1. jsf8x, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Pretty simple question, exactly what the title says. Is there any way I could convert my Aperture library and move all the photo's to iPhoto in an easy and convenient way.

Thanks.

2. teamrusnac macrumors newbie

apple just release aperture 3.3 which has a unified album now for iphoto and aperture as long as you are running the newest versions of each. no need to do anything now. update your software and bam. anything done in aperture is available in iphot and vis versa. i think its about time

3. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

4. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

I've gotten Aperture to update.. But nothing shows up when I want to update iPhoto and you have to have version 9.3 for the conversion to work and my iPhoto is stuck on 9.2.3.. Help?

5. Velorium macrumors member

I'm assuming you've already tried updating via the App Store?

6. iPK macrumors newbie

convert Aperture Library to iPhoto Library

I think I stumbled on this solution/work around by mistake while trying to get an app called Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto to work. As the app only recognises iPhoto libraries and will only work on iPhoto libraries I was stuck. My massive Aperture library has lots of duplicates and wont scan.

So I set about trying to convert the .aplibrary file to and iPhoto Library (which interestingly doesn't have a file extension to it.

So its fairly simple.
    First create a new iPhoto library ( you wont use this and will delete it later)
    Now using finder, open the "info" window for the aperture lib you want to change. Easiest way is to select the library (single click) and using the short cut, Command "I"
    Under name and extension, delete the ".aplibrary" and hit enter. Confirm the "remove" prompt
    Now drag that file (which is now a traditional blue folder) into the newly created iPhoto library
    iPhoto will promot you to "relaunch" iphoto with the new library.....viola!
    Checking the "info" for the library file again you will note is now identified as an iPhoto Library.

Not sure if this will solve my scanning app problem yet but it does change an Aperture Library into an iPhoto library. Which for some is a mute point because they are all now unified.

Hope this helps.

PK

7. waukesha macrumors newbie

Issue with this fix

I did what worked above and it did convert to a iPhoto file. However now it is not visible in iMovie. Any suggestions on how to repair that and did you discover any other issues after performing this? I noticed that the XML files for iPhoto and Aperture are different and when the operation above was performed it didn't change it to a typical iPhoto named xml file. Thank you for any input you have. Has the scared about potential corruption.