Convert AVI to IPAD format - What Free Programs

Discussion in 'iPad' started by absolutic, Jun 1, 2010.

1. absolutic macrumors regular

Guys and girls, I've seen this same issue discussed couple of months ago but I am sure other programs have appeared. So my question is

What are the FREE simple converters to convert various .avi files (i.e., divx, xvid, etc) to a format compatible with IPAD so it could be dropped to IPAD through iTunes and it actually accepted it? Looking for something that converts quickly, realizing that the size of IPAD screen does not necessitate HD quality.

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I used to do all my video converting on my PC, but now, unless I'm converting from a DVD(Handbrake), I use the AirVideo app exclusively. It's way too easy to click 'convert', and videos are added to the conversion queue. You don't have to stay in the app either, just add files to the queue and let your computer do it's thing. I know it's not free, but some things are just worth a few coins. :)
    I use VLC Player on my PC, so it makes sense for me to have all my videos in a format that's compatible with everything.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Handbrake is the best. I use the Universal preset and it looks great.

It's free.

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I have about 300 videos remaining in divx and I've found adding each one in Handbrake individually to the queue really time consuming.

Does Video Monkey let you select several files at once?

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Yup, just drag them all into the window and click 'start'.

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Nice - looks like I'll be installing that tonight and getting the last of my avis into mp4 and then getting them into MetaX :D

7. ukyo229 Guest

AVI is a container, so you have to encode an already encoded file all over again... you really want to do that? :confused:

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yeah - how else can I play the files on the iPad? (apart from Airvideo, but I still want to sync videos over to the iPad.)

So far the conversions have looked great on anything from iPhone to PS3 on 1080p TV.

9. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, I typically storage my avi files on my PC Desktop so I will check out Handbrake

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hey thanks for that link. I wasn't aware that someone filled the void. I'm still using Visual Hub and relieved it won't "go away" with the change of some code in a future OS X update.

11. Dodgeroo macrumors regular

I agree with BergerFan AND Chundles ;)

Air Video is awesome for streaming and conversion (and the iPad version is fantastic), but Handbrake is best as a standalone solution if you don't need the streaming option.

12. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

OP reporting here.

Thanks I just tried it (handbrake)

and was able to encode an 1:45min movie in apprx 16 minutes (on my quad-core PC) which was great, it immediately went to iTunes with no problems and it works fine on IPAD.

Thanks everyone again, problem solved. It would be easier of course if it played it natively, but hey, 15 minutes is not that bad.

13. jroeben macrumors newbie

If you would like to cut down the 16 minutes to maybe 2 or 3, check this thread where I describe a method to quickly remux Xvid/Divx video files without the need to reencode them. A little further down I also posted a commandline for batch remuxing and batch Handbrake encoding (both for MacOS, though, so you might have to adapt this to whatever OS you are running).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9937688&highlight=avidemux#post9937688

Enjoy and I would really like to get some feedback.

14. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

Very interesting, I will try your solution tonight and see if it works. I guess it does not hurt to try it first, and if it doesn't work, then you just wasted 2-3 minutes which is not bad, and then go back to the old solution

15. jroeben macrumors newbie

Well, I received my iPad on the 27th and have been using my method ever since. It works ;).

16. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

+1

I would also recommend handbrakes presets. Works great for iPhone too.

17. Macpowered macrumors member

Macpowered

18. EthanXC1 macrumors member

This.

19. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

What settings do you use on Visual Hub for the best quality without significantly increasing the file size?

Also for Hand Brake? What settings do you recommend for optimal iPad viewing (as clear as possible) and what is the approximate file size (in relation to the original)?

Thanks in advance.

20. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Video Monkey gets a +1 from me

98 videos in my MP4 folder waiting to get their metadata sorted for iTunes :D

21. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Video Monkey doesn't have an iPad setting. Do you just use AppleTV?

22. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

Holy Resurrection, Batman!

we've got VLC App now so this thread is moot =)

23. Kevinjack, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

Kevinjack macrumors newbie

24. Mylo130 macrumors member

Mylo130

You really don't need to convert your files at all. I use AVplayerHD. It plays pretty much every format that I've thrown at it. You don't have to connect to iTunes to add a movie to your iPad...it's nice.