Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Convert .Avi to .Mkv on Mac ?

Augure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
So, I don't really use any devices other than my computer to play videos, and because the .Mkv is so convenient (smaller file size with lossless quality, different audio and subtitle tracks...) I have decide to convert all my .Avi files into .Mkv to make the room I urgently need on my HDs...

I've tried iSkysoft converter which has a nice interface but is awfully slow and that I dumped immediately.

Then I tried MKVTool which has a horrible UI and isn't convenient at all to know what format or options I should choose, what output file size I will get, what time it will take to convert etc...

So I'd like to ask you: for you what is the best Avi to Mkv converted on Mac ?

macrumorista

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Just for the record, Handbrake doesn't work. It can only convert mkv to mp4. Still searching for a solution to this myself... FLV Crunch (referenced in post #4) doesn't support Lion or Mountain Lion.

Comment

tim123

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
for Mac platform's converter, I recommend Handbrake. It is free also.

Comment

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
Just for the record, Handbrake doesn't work. It can only convert mkv to mp4. Still searching for a solution to this myself... FLV Crunch (referenced in post #4) doesn't support Lion or Mountain Lion.

works perfectly here! im on 10.8.2. flv crunch works perfectly for me.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.