Convert bitrate to 128 AAC option - before and after (pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Deano.uk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

Hey all

Just a quick post about the new feature in itunes to "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC".

I currently have 1548 songs on my iphone 16gb, and thought id use this option to see how much space it would fill up... and i was suprised.

see results below, saved just shy of 3gb.

Oh, it took 2 and a half hours to do it.

Attached Files:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You needed it. Operating with <400 MB is not good.

3. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

whys that? i dont notice much of a difference weather its filled to the brim or if a few gig is spare on it?

I filled it up a week ago as i went away for a long weekend, hence the large amout of music on there.

4. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I find it interesting that the "Other" went from over 400MB to just over 100MB. That is the lowest "Other" I've ever seen. The lowest I've had mine is just over 200MB.

To comment on the remaining space, if you were to try and sync some pictures, as the iPhone works to optimize them, it uses free memory, and you would find it might not even complete the sync because it wouldn't have room to work. I read posts either on here or on the Apple forum that talked about issues people had with memory remaining of 500MB or less.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I didn't think "Other" got below 200 MB. Hmmm.

The other problem with having that low of space is that if you tried to download some big game that was say 250 MB, you wouldn't be able to, since it requires double the space to download, before removing the temp file.

I'm going to wait to see how other do on this before going ahead with it. It'll be nice to save 2-3 GB though.

Edit: Under iTunes>Summary>Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC