Convert Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thunderclap, Mar 7, 2010.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

A lot of the Blu-Ray topics here deal with ripping and converting Blu-Ray to be playable on an AppleTV, PS3 or some other device. What I'm trying to do is find a way to rip and convert Blu-Ray so I and edit in Final Cut Pro.

I've managed to rip the M2TS file from the disc using PavTube but as for conversion there is a problem. The program has several frame rate options but defaults to 30 fps. I want to preserve the Blu-Ray frame rate of 23.976.

When I try anything other than 30 fps I get sync issues and video stuttering issues.

I've also tried converting the M2TS to an H.264 MP4 file using RipBot264 (Windows app), but for some reason Quicktime nor MPEG Streamclip can't convert it due to incompatible frame rate or something. Yet Quicktime can play the file without a problem.

So... does anyone have a fairly painless way of converting a ripped M2TS file to a Final Cut Pro friendly file while preserving the actual frame rate?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is a wild guess and I suggest using it on a smaller clip first to see whether it works.

Use MKVtoolnix to convert to MKV format. Open the resulting file in QuickTime Pro (with Perian) and save to MOV. You may then be able to edit the MOV.

3. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try.