Convert .docx files?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Dec 21, 2008.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I need to convert a .docx file by tonight at midnight, and print it. My printer, being the POS it is, doesn't read .docx. I'm guessing (maybe, its an HP D7300) that it would read .PDF, so I would like to convert it to .PDF. I tried ZamZar, and another website like that, but they still didn't e-mail me the document yet. Any way I can convert it to .PDF with a program?
    YES, I tried google. It came up with ZamZar, and that's not currently working for me!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm confused... why do you need the printer to be able to handle .docx? Your computer should be interpreting it for you.

Anyway, programs that can convert a docx file into a doc file include...

MS Office 2008
    MS Office 2007
    MS Office 2004 (fully updated, plus this)
    OpenOffice 3.0

Load it in any one of them and save it as whatever you want or print it from there.

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

My printer doesn't read .docx files. But I got it anyways, thanks.

4. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Your printer has nothing to do with this.....I guarantee you!:D

Anyway, microsoft has a converter pack for older versions of Office and Office 2008 for Mac and Office 2007 can convert it into .doc from the application itself.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

How complicated a document is it? Good old TextEdit will open simple ones... :apple:

6. Slowstick macrumors 6502

not a .docx.

7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I'm not one to argue, but I got a .docx file via email and yes TextEdit will open it cleanly. My fully-updated copy of Office 2004 (but without the 50MB converter utility referred to earlier) will not open it, but QuickLook does -- and TextEdit does. I am not making this up!

At work on my old PC I once used ZamZar to convert a .docx file and it worked perfectly.

8. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

If it wasn't my printers fault, then why would it not print it? But it printed a .PDF of it?

9. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I guess I stated that wrong.

What I should say is that there is something wrong between your comp and your printer that is causing this file not to print. If your printer prints a PDF, then it is ABLE to print any other format. So your printer hardware itself does not need to be troubleshooted. Whether it is a printer software problem, I am not sure. However, most likely not.

Hope that helps!!:D

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Like the above posted said it is not your printer but something wrong software side. Your printer does not give a rats ass what the format is. It just does what you computer tells it to do.

Chances are your computer would struggle to print .doc format as well. Something else is wrong and it is not docx fault.

As for PDF part something I did in college was on windows I put in a PDF printer. All it did was created a false printer on my computer than just made a PDF document.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, I think it was a feature add for TextEdit in Leopard.