Convert Entourage Database to Outlook PST

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Casdawer, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Casdawer macrumors newbie

Good morning guys,

I've got a slight problem which i need your help on!

I work for IT Support in a company and i've been handed a Mac that gives 9 beeps (3 short, 3 long, 3 short) which signals a system board problem.

I am trying to get the user set up on a Windows laptop as we have no spare Macs for him and i am transferring the data from the Mac HDD to my laptop.

The problem is, the emails on the HDD are in the database format and not the .mbox format.

How do i convert it to a useable PST?

(We are not on Exchange)

Thank you.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Unfortunately PST format is proprietary to Microsoft and they've never allowed other mail clients to use it. Your best bet is to import the Entourage database onto a working Mac then export the folder structure to the mbox format. That can be read by a number of clients including the free Thunderbird, and once it's in Thunderbird there are a number of free utilities that can export the data to Outlook or Outlook Express.

3. Casdawer thread starter macrumors newbie

The only spare Mac i have does not have Entourage on it.

Is there a way to do it through Mail?

Thanks.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I don't think so. You need to use Entourage to get the data out of the Entourage format. Once it's exported as an mbox you have more options.

Do Microsoft still offer the free 30-day trial download of Office on their website? If so, install that onto your working Mac. It will be able to do the necessary.

5. Casdawer thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked and they still do so downloading the trial now.

Thanks for you help Queso.

6. Casdawer thread starter macrumors newbie

I've managed to get the folders/mails into .MBOX files, but i now need to convert this to .PST or something that i can use to add the folders along with the emails into Outlook.

Thanks.

7. Queso macrumors G4

I think the next step would be to import the mbox into Outlook Express on the PC. From there it should be pretty easy to get the mail items into the full Outlook client.

8. Casdawer thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for having to ask stupid questions, but how do i add the .mbox files into Outlook Express but Outlook doesn't see the files or recognize them.

Thanks

9. Queso macrumors G4

Not a stupid question at all. I now see it's a little bit more complicated than I first thought.

Here's a link with steps. It looks like you still need an intermediary between the mbox and Outlook Express. Eudora is suggested.

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=6436#600

10. rgralnik macrumors newbie

Casdawer wrote, "I work for IT Support in a company and i've been handed a Mac that gives 9 beeps (3 short, 3 long, 3 short) which signals a system board problem."

This is Morse Code for S-O-S. Gotta love the Mac engineers' sense of humor.

As for converting the MBOX files to a PST, try Aid4Mail. I've had success with that even going from EMLX files directly to a PST. (I don't work for them or get anything for mentioning them here.)

Hope this helps.

11. kapul macrumors newbie

I dint try any other third party email converter, but "Mail Passport Pro" did excellent job for me, converted my emails without any error & it preserved the email contents.

Thanking you