Convert FLAC to Apple Lossless?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by OldCorpse, Aug 27, 2008.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I am going to buy a download that comes as FLAC files, and I'd like to convert it to Apple Lossless so I can have iTunes play it (I assume iTunes doesn't play FLAC?). What is the best way to go about it? Is there an app I need to buy, or maybe a free one somewhere? TIA!

2. LoCarbHotrod macrumors member

AudialHub works great. Try searching MacUpdate for some free ones.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Hey, Archesdevil, Max looks great - I was vaguely aware of its existence, but had no idea it could convert so many formats... interesting!

And shame on Apple for not cooperating so that iTunes can play FLAC. Apparently it's Apple asshattery that's the issue. Oh well.

Anyhow, a quick update, XLD worked perfectly, I converted FLAC to Apple Lossless for import to my HDD library for iTunes, and also converted to AIFF to burn some CDs, which I did. I played both - works great. That said, the UI on XLD is not my particular cup of tea, but hey, it's free and the developers are very active, so I'm not about to complain; key thing is it works very well.

5. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

XLD works fine,Max is more configureable but a little confusing.

7. LoCarbHotrod macrumors member

Isn't lossless audio great? Kind of hard going back and listening to mp3 compressed audio.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Loseless is great.

By the way, AAC (mp4) is over 10 years newer tha mp3. If you must compress, do mp4.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Any particular reason you converted to AIFF to burn to CD? Why didn't you just use iTunes to burn the Apple Lossless files? It is lossless after all, and therefore exactly the same quality as AIFF files.

10. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Hmm. I was under the impression that your run of the mill CD players can read AIFF and MP3, but not Apple Lossless... and hence, if I want to hear a CD, I must have it burned with AIFF (or MP3) tracks. Am I wrong?

FWIW, on my home stereo system I can definitely hear MP3 tracks as lossy and inferior, which is why I keep all my iTunes library HDD in Apple Lossless (500 GB); I have almost stopped using CDs - though I have over 5000 of 'em, and I still buy CDs. What stops me from buying digital tracks is exactly that mostly they are lossy, and since I can hear that, it's a no deal for me (and so, I don't even bother with the iTunes Store). I just bought a download + CD, precisely because it was lossless (FLAC):

http://everythingthathappens.com/

And I do like the artwork and booklets that come with CDs :)... often it's the most convenient way of getting lyrics and detailed track information. Plus it's a nice physical backup. When I share music with friends, mostly I still use CDs, though I guess that will gradually change.

Regardless, I still buy tons of CDs every month. I would start buying digital downloads if more of them were lossless - but that's still a tiny minority (though Amazon at least is DRM-free).

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

When you burn Apple Lossless to CD it gets converted anyway. So your just going through an extra step which is unnecessary.

I agree. The only time I listen to lossy formats is a) when I put it on my iPhone to save space and b) when I find a track on iTunes I want just for fun but I'm not that bothered about.

I just wish Apple would get off their arses and support FLAC in iTunes then we would be laughing. I expect the reason is to do with licensing restrictions imposed by the FLAC open source license though or maybe Apple are just being lazy.

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

What does Apple lossless get converted to when you burn a CD?

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

16bit PCM audio at 44.1kHz sample rate.

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks Cromulent. Never thought about Apple lossless being converted when burnt to CD. It always just worked. Now I know, and knowing saves half the hassle.:)

15. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Wow, I had no idea. I always used Toast to burn my CDs, never really burned 'em using iTunes. Good to know - thanks!

16. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I'm downloading FLAC files right now. Takes forever but, worth it.

17. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

From what I've seen, FLAC are not much bigger than Apple Lossless files (just a tiny bit). So, if you're gonna go lossless, FLAC is not a bad choice size-wise.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The real question is, does anyone know any good legal online music stores that sell FLAC music (or any other kind - APE is perfectly acceptable as well)?

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Most of my FLAC music comes from etree or etree type artists who trade and offer live shows freely and legally, like Widespread Panic. Did a quick search and found this. It doesn't sound that great though.

20. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

The link I provided further up is one example of famous artists releasing albums as FLAC files (David Byrne and Brian Eno).

Sadly most people don't care about sound quality that much - that's why compressed stuff, mp3 especially are so popular. And the fact that solid state is still so expensive makes storage size at a premium, which all favors compressed formats. Take personal players - if you buy a nano or a touch, and end up with 16GB or so, that just doesn't go far with lossless files, meanwhile manufacturers, including Apple always advertise the size of their storage solutions as the number of songs it can hold, like 40,000 or some absurd number, which you can only reach by compressing the heck out of them. And the public eats it up. I can't tell you the number of times I talked to someone and they were surprised that the files they buy off iTunes store is NOT of CD quality... they just assume it's so, and Apple doesn't exactly advertise that "hey, we have cruddy, lossy, compressed stuff!"... one reason (plus DRM) I will NOT buy stuff from the iTunes store, as long as that goes on.

Now, given the lack (relatively) of demand for lossless files from consumers, and the cheapness advantages of lossy files in storage, and server load and time to download, and is it surprising that most artists don't feel compelled to offer lossless files? There are exceptions, of course (as I mentioned above).

21. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

A lot of artists are starting to offer FLAC or Lossless downloads from their own sites. Right now, I am downloading FLAC files from the Dave Matthews Band website.

Hopefully more artist with begin doing this.

22. teqnvia macrumors newbie

Use Toast

I made a quick Toast image file of an album Flac files and saved it to my desktop. Then using Toast again, mounted the image.
    It then appears as a disk in iTunes and you can then encode it any way you choose.
    Since I already have the Flac files, I encoded the files to AAC to save room on my Ipod touch. But, you can encode it to Apple Lossless.
    The process only takes a few minutes.

(by the way, I used Toast Titanium 9)

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

How on earth did you fit so many CDs onto a 500GB drive? I have about 1500 CDs ripped to ALAC, and that fills my 500GB drive.

FWIW, be sure that you have a backup. I have two backups of my library - one on-site and one stored safely off-site. This has allowed me to send my CDs to the recycler.