Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcgrath383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
hi am looking to convert flv to wmv to try and embed on a vle, any ideas or decent free/reasonably priced software?
cheers

mcgrath383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
thanks for the help guys still trying to get this sorted, could also look to convert form flv to swf if that might be easier any ideas gratefully received!!

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
hi
thanks for all the replies, I have successfully used a website
http://www.media-convert.com

it has managed to convert the files successfully
thanks again
paddy

Thanks for the advice on this thread. I haven't had a need to convert .flv files to .wmv but wouldn't mind converting youtube files (have to figure out how to get them down to my computer first) to iPod compatible files (.m4v) so I can keep them on my 2g iPod Touch 32gb. Maybe these links can help with that

There's also some avi files I want to convert to iPod compatible

jbellrmr

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Video Converter

Thanks for the advice on this thread. I haven't had a need to convert .flv files to .wmv but wouldn't mind converting youtube files (have to figure out how to get them down to my computer first) to iPod compatible files (.m4v) so I can keep them on my 2g iPod Touch 32gb. Maybe these links can help with that

There's also some avi files I want to convert to iPod compatible

I have used MpegStreamclip (free) to convert flv files to all other Apple formats. To go from flv to wmv or mpeg2 or avi, the commercial iSkySoft Converter ($29) works well. Both of these programs produce very smooth video especially for projection in my church sanctuary.

BTW, if you use the Safari browser, just launch its activity window, select the web video you want to download and scroll through the activity window until you find the large file that's playing. Select that file in the activity window, pause the video in the browser, hold down the Option key whilst double-clicking the file and it will automatically start downloading to your Downloads directory.

Blessings...Jeff

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
... wouldn't mind converting youtube files (have to figure out how to get them down to my computer first) ...e

I use Real Player Downloader for that. It came with their free player (which I NEVER use).

Then, with the help of having Perian ( http://perian.org/ ) on my computer, I can play the flv's with quicktime player or throw them into iMovie and edit them.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I do a LOT of conversions to WMV at work and my workflow involves:

MPEG2 playback component is $20, Flip4Mac Studio is $49. Everything else is free.

I like using MPEG Streamclip because it gives me a lot of customisation features right at my fingertips. For example, it's easy to up the volume on exports. Deinterlacing is something else I use often. And it has nifty batch features that save me hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.