Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanJL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
I posted this in the iPhone section, but it quickly fell to the bottom with no love. Figured people in the iPod forum might be more knowledgeable on the subject.

Most of my iTunes library is encoded in Apple Lossless.

It's tempting to fit more music on my 32GB iPhone 4 by having it encoded with greater compression, but 128 kbps is just too low. Does anyone know of anyway to adjust the setting? 320 kbps would be ideal.

Thanks.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I posted this in the iPhone section, but it quickly fell to the bottom with no love. Figured people in the iPod forum might be more knowledgeable on the subject.

Most of my iTunes library is encoded in Apple Lossless.

It's tempting to fit more music on my 32GB iPhone 4 by having it encoded with greater compression, but 128 kbps is just too low. Does anyone know of anyway to adjust the setting? 320 kbps would be ideal.

Thanks.

That's just a convenient shortcut, and you could try it out just for kicks. If it bothers you, uncheck it and sync again.

If you want to make copies of all your song files in whatever MP3 bitrate, highlight your songs, then go to Advanced - Make MP3 Version. But make sure you go into iTunes prefs first and set your bitrate.

Personally, I use 192 bitrate for everything. I really find I don't notice any quality loss that is noticeable or annoying in the least, and the files are a nice size. I get much more loss of quality from, road noise in the car, wind noise in my ear and from passing cars, barking dogs, lawn services, etc. If I'm in a soundproof chamber, that's when I'd want my lossless files available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.