Convert iPhone 2g Individual Plan to 3GS Family Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matt18012, Jun 28, 2009.

1. matt18012 macrumors member

Hello friends,

Hopefully you all can provide some guidance on my situation:

I purchased a 2G iPhone on launch day in 2007. I have a individual ATT plan (900min + iPhone data plan).

I want to convert this plan to a 3 phone family plan and upgrade my iPhone to a 3GS.

Here are my questions:

1.If I upgrade to the family plan, will I be able to get the 3GS and two additional phones at subsidized prices?

2. I would strongly prefer to buy my phone from Apple online. I cannot, however change my individual plan to a family plan on Apple's website. Would it be ok to purchase my 3GS from apple while still on the individual plan, and then have ATT convert my plan to the 3 phone family plan at a later date? Would this affect my ability to get 2 additional family plan phones at subsided prices?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,
    Matt

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

You have the right idea, upgrade your iPhone with Apple first and then have AT&T convert your individual line to a FamilyTalk rate plan while adding 2 add-a-lines. Each line has it's own contract and there is no problem merging them into a single FamilyTalk rate plan. I would suggest that you make sure that your iPhone is the primary line on the FamilyTalk plan. Since you have the bulk of the voice rate plan and the iPhone data plan on your line, this will provide you the earliest update on your line.

Dave

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'll go ahead and second Dave's answer. You should be good to go! And, to add to that, yes, you will get subsidized prices on the other two lines as well.

4. matt18012 thread starter macrumors member

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your fast responses! I ordered myself a new iPhone 3GS :D from Apple tonight. The online ordering process is AWESOME and sure beats standing in line like I did back in '07. I will update this post when I make the switch to the family plan just in case anyone else is in my situation!

Thanks again,
    Matt