Convert iso's program

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fireshot91, Jan 10, 2012.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, I'm pretty sure this is the correct subforum.

Anyways, I have a bunch of movies backed up onto an external drive in ISO format. They were directly ripped from the DVDs using DVD Shrink on Windows, but I don't have that computer anymore.

I now have it connected to a PM G5, running leopard.

I want to convert the ISO files to some other video standard (Maybe mp4(?)) that would let it play pretty easily on my machine, and take up less space on the hard drive. As well as potentially be able to play on xbox's, etc.

I've been using Handbrake, but I just found out that the maximum size it allows for is 720x480, which is definitely not big enough.

Any ideas on another program that'll let me increase the size to that of the source?

2. simsaladimbamba

You mean the resolution of 720 x 480 is not big enough?
    Those video DVDs you ripped (.iso has nothing to do with it) have the same resolution, thus up-converting them will result in loss of visible image quality and bring no advantage.
    Why do you want to increase the size anyway? Doesn't you video player take care of that?

If you really want to do it, look at MPEG Streamclip and the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (Apple Online Store, 20 USD).

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, I figure that the video player will play at whatever resolution the videofile is in.

When I play the DVD rip, it is significantly bigger than the converted one.