Convert m4v to avi

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jacquesmc12, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Jacquesmc12 Guest

Hi i just got a new dvd player that plays divx files via USB, but it only plays avi files and i have a ton of movies. Is there a free way on a mac to convert m4v to avi. I tried Handbrake (crash), Video Monkey, Video Drive, Quicktime, and changing the file extension all to no avail. anybody know how to do this, or any methods that i have tried but maybe something i missed.
    Thanks for the help
    John

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MPEG STreamclip at www.squared5.com can convert an .m4v to an .avi.

And .avi and .m4v are only containers/suffixes for videos encoded with different codecs. And the codec is the one thing that matters.

So use MPEG Streamclip to convert the file(s).

3. Jacquesmc12 thread starter Guest

Hey that program worked, but looking for something better, anything that is built into Mac OS X? Can someone help me with the handbrake and find out why it is crashing?
    Thanks

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Are you using a preset in HandBrake, and if so, which one? HandBrake will often crash if using a preset that uses AC3 passthru audio for one of the tracks when trying to transcode a file with no AC3. To correct this, just go into audio and deselect the AC3 passthru option.

See if that works.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could try QuickTime Pro, as it is build in, but is not as efficient as MPEG Streamclip.

Also take into account the advice of spice weasel, but be aware, that Handbrake hasn't have the capabilities to convert normal files as long as MPEG Streamclip has. Handbrake was originally build to convert DVDs, and the ability to convert files was added not long ago.
    MPEG Streamclip was build doing file conversions, so it's more mature in its current state, even if not as user-friendly as Handbrake might seem.

6. Jacquesmc12 thread starter Guest

Hey i tried Quicktime Pro and got back low quality video that was very grainy with huge files size, 1.5hr movie is 3Gb. Anybody want to help with Handbrake or Video Monkey.

7. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I too am struggling to find something, either free or paid which will convert my many video formats into a playable avi that will play on my Media Player. I can create the avi files but it seems not to want and play.

I have noticed that my Media Drive/Player supports Divx and wondering if i need to purchase the Divx convertor.

Any help appreciated.

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I'm sorry, but I gave up trying that when I was about 8
    anyways, Quicktime 7 should be able to convert it fine...