convert mkv format video using handbrake

Discussion in 'iPad' started by auzzuro, Jul 12, 2010.

1. auzzuro macrumors regular

hi i am trying to convert my mkv format anime video using handbrake but found having some problem.while i was trying to convert the anime, found out that there was no English sub on it. while i view in mkv format anime using vlc player found no problem with it. can any guys help me?why is it so?

2. asdff macrumors member

i'm faced with the same issue of converting mkv file but the subs not transferring over. I've tried to mess with the subtitles tab using different combinations of 'burn in' and what not but it doesn't seem to be working... not familiar with how the subs are put in place w/ mkv files but it seems like they aren't "burned into" the video itself...

anyone else w/ more experience pls shed some light on this? i'm interested as well

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Handbrake's subtitles option should fix that issue for you by "burning in" the subtitles. If that's not working, consider installing Perian. You can then open the MKV files in QuickTime, then export in iPhone format. It's a LOT slower than Handbrake, but at least it will get the job done.

Or you can learn Japanese. :D

-Aaron-

4. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

is perian supported for win?or do u guys have any other ways?

5. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

There's a converter I just found called MKVTools. It allows you to convert with the subtitles, and it works like a charm.

6. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

i found difficulty in mkvtools.there are many version.can u tell me which version to download? i am using win 7. thanks

7. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

8. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Eh? Air Video? What's that got to do with this? That's a totally seperate solution to a different problem?

9. mariabird1 macrumors newbie

Handbrake is probably your best option. The newer versions will only convert to MP4s, which are playable on your PS3. Older versions converted to AVI and are out there on the net if you Google enough :]
    For Windows users: check this AVS Video Converter, Its a commercial solution and cost about $39 US dollars, but its been well worth it. And, you can convert the video to all types of formats and not just MKV.

10. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Don't forget to "ADD" the subtitles to it. even if you hit burned in, if you don't hit the add button it won't add the subtitles.

11. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

i have try to use handbrake and add subtitles onto it but the video output still no subtitles

12. Battlestar macrumors 6502

Can you upload screen shots of your settings?