Convert MKV to AVI

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wirelessimports, Jul 25, 2009.

1. wirelessimports macrumors member

I just bought the new Samsung LED TV (UN55B8000) model and it has a option to input a USB flash drive and able to view videos from it.

When I played a regular AVI file the audio and video worked perfectly, however, when I tried to play a MKV file it was only video since audio isn't supported (to my knowledge). I wanted to know if there was a way to convert MKV files to AVI while having zero picture degradation for the same purpose.

If you know of any software that is idiot proof to use please post a link.

Thank you in advance!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Can it play mp4?

If it can, Handbrake will be your best option.

3. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would just use Handbrake then ...

No idea.

5. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

How is the software do when keeping the quality?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will do well.

7. henrik-s macrumors newbie

If you downloaded a BluRay rip it most likely has AC3 audio.

You have a few options. You could use HandBrake and re-encode the entire thing. It's probably the easiest way, but it will result in quality loss. The other thing you can try is extracting the audio and encoding it to something "safe" like MP3 and then mux it with the untouched video.

8. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

Handbrake for some reason keeps crashing on me every time its getting ready to start converting. Any other good software?

And is there a way to check the audio source on the MKV file using VLC for example?

9. henrik-s macrumors newbie

Yeah, click cmd+I and go to the codec details tab. You can use the same hotkeys in QuickTime.

Regarding encoding software, I can't help much. If you run Parallels/VMWare or bootcamp, I can recommend XviD4PSP for Windows. Stupid name, but it's an excellent piece of software with loads of presets and settings. You can set the video to 'copy' and only encode the audio.

10. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

After doing some more research I found that some of the rips I am downloading are in AC3, which is compatible with the TV's audio. Some others that I have don't specify what audio they have and just don't play.

Any way to convert just the audio?

Also one MKV has both russian and english on it. When playing it on the TV the russian defaults as the main audio language. The TV has no way of changing it so how can I strip this out of the file?

11. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I tried but all the codec details are empty.

I'll look into getting bootcamp onto the computer and trying out that program.