Convert mkv to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mrgreeneyes, Mar 17, 2011.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

How can I convert a mkv movie to DVD?

2. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I used to be able to do it in Compressor. It took ages for it to accept a mkv file that I had dragged into it, but after a VERY long while the spinning beach ball would stop and it would appear in the window so I could apply whatever DVD settings I wanted.

However that seems to have stopped working. But if you have an older version of Compressor or haven't upgraded your system in a while you might try it.

Otherwise, if you have the late lamented Visualhub (or are able to find a working version) you can convert the mkv directly to a DVD.

Or you can use Handbrake to convert the mkv using the best quality settings possible and then use Compressor (if you have it) to make a DVD

Those are all things I've done so I know they work.

I haven't done this but it seems to work - if you have Toast, drag the mkv into the Video tab with DVD-Video chosen.

3. simsaladimbamba

MPEG Streamclip > CMD+E > export it using the Apple Intermediate Codec for VIDEO (Compressor) and Uncompressed for AUDIO (Sound).
    Then use iDVD, comes with iLife and make a video DVD.

What if the OP has no access to FCS?

4. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Hence my giving him/her other options, like Visual Hub, Handbrake and Toast...

5. xinyuewon, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

xinyuewon macrumors newbie

I have Toast Titanium 11, and while it DOES get the job done, it makes the video look pretty muddy and in general terrible.

I settled down on this MKV to DVD converter.