convert .mov to avi or wmv

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2macman, May 25, 2011.

1. 2macman macrumors member

My new Panasonic digital camera records in .mov.

For more easy and universal distribution and viewing, I would like to convert the .mov files to avi or wmv.

I have Mac Quicktime player 7, and it converts, but at a significant reduction in quality. Perhaps a solution is to change the conversion setting, but I do not know about that.

I have briefly read about a free program RAD. And there are probably others.

I am a teacher, recording videos for class on a Panasonic in .mov mode. However, for best viewership by students, I need the video in AVI or WMV format.

Would a free downloadable converter be better than Quicktime 7?
    If so, which one?

It would seem there is a system in place to do this, but I do not know what it is.

Help-uh.

2. simsaladimbamba

QuickTime Player is available for Windows too, thus .mov files could be viewed on Windows PCs too.

But if you want .avi files, using some strong compressor like H.263 or H.264, then use MPEG Streamclip.
    It can even batch convert files.

3. 2macman thread starter macrumors member

convert .mov to avi or wmv

Thanks. If converting .mov to wmv is easier or simpler, I am good with that. avi not necessary.

My problem is, that when I go to make presentation at another school, I often must download quicktime for windows on their school computer, and that is not easy because I am in Korea, and all that stuff is in the Korean language.

That is why I seek to have my videos on wmv before I leave the house.

Again, I have Quicktime Player 7, and it converts. Just, at a diminished quality.

And, I have a phobia about downloading free programs. If quicktime does just as well, I can keep things in-house, as it were.

I just don't know these waters.

4. BillMidwest, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

BillMidwest macrumors newbie

Convert to .wmv

I highly recommend you try Video Monkey. It's free, though donations are certainly accepted, and does an excellent job of converting .mov to .wmv. Choose Best (2 Pass) for Encoding Speed and depending upon the size of your original file, uncheck 320 pixels wide to create a larger converted image. I set Quality to "Go Nuts".

Another good commercial program is Flip4Mac. It works as a plug-in to QuickTime Pro. The version for 2 Pass conversion is approximately $180. The lower cost Studio version will not convert .mov to .wmv any better than what you are producing now.

http://videomonkey.org/

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

Bill

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I use the $99 Flip 4 Mac Studio (it operates as a QuickTime plug-in) and the free MPEG Streamclip (it basically works as a nifty front end to QuickTime's functionality) and make WMVs all day some days.

MPEG Streamclip has a nice batch feature that save a lot of time.

6. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

So you have a presentation, and need to convert you MOV video to WMV and insert into your presentation? And you still need convert video in Mac OS? I think you can try to use Leawo Free Mac Video Converter without any time limited and watermark, but there are so tiny bugs with this tool because of haven't update for long time. You should pay attention to it.

7. montgomeryr macrumors member

I use QT7 pro to convert to AppleTV which is M4V. Rename to Mp4 if you like.
    The quality is great and seems to play on anything.