convert movie torrents to ipad format

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I can not find a legit software (FREE!) that can convert movies downloaded via Torrent (.avi and others) to the correct format to transfer to iTunes, and then to my iPad. Anyone know of any? I have 7 movies that I wanna transfer for a road trip tomorrow. Thanks guys.

All the software I have found just have a lame trial, and then you have to buy it.

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
I can not find a legit software (FREE!) that can convert movies downloaded via Torrent (.avi and others) to the correct format to transfer to iTunes, and then to my iPad. Anyone know of any? I have 7 movies that I wanna transfer for a road trip tomorrow. Thanks guys.

All the software I have found just have a lame trial, and then you have to buy it.
Oh are you in for a treat...

Use Handbrake: http://handbrake.fr/

Totally free, does pretty much everything you'd ever want, and it has built in presets for iPads, iPhones and what not.

Comment

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Just download iTunes, drag your movies in, go to the iTunes Store, and buy the movie.

Comment

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
Ok so you want FREE software to convert the FREE movies.... :rolleyes:

You clearly can afford stuff as you own an iPad. Why not "aleast" pay for the software to convert the FREE movies.

Last edited:
Comment

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Handbrake is the best thing since torrents

...well that, and the FVD plugin for Google Chrome

Comment

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Ok so you want FREE software to convert the FREE movies.... :rolleyes:

You clearly can afford stuff as you own an iPad. Why not aleast pay for the software to convert the FREE movies.
There's plenty of free software which can convert them; why would you pay for software which does the same job?

----------

Well F me. Handbreak wont work on my Macbook Pro Gen 1. LAME!!!!!!! Anything else or am I screwed?!
http://alternativeto.net/software/handbrake/

Comment

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
Forget transcoding, just buy Goodplayer and play them natively. Unless you expressly want to reduce file sizes, transcoding is a waste of time and energy.

Comment

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Why not just get an app like AVPlayer or GPlayer? Then you can drag and drop the files as is and it will play them.

How do you download a movie for free then?
Pretty sure discussing piracy is against forum rules.

Comment

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
I'm a big fan of AVplayerHD, but it's currently unavailable on the store. I'm using Goodplayer currently simply because its been updated for the iPhone 5's res.

Comment

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Comment

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Just download iTunes, drag your movies in, go to the iTunes Store, and buy the movie.
Where do people draw the line?...if a film has been shown on TV and I guess you could have recorded it legally at that time to share via VHS or made a copy to a hard disk TV recorder....should you also be able to download it from a torrent site to put on your device of choice?....

If not why not?

Comment

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Where do people draw the line?
Here's where we draw the line at MR:

Forum Rules said:
Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.
This thread is teetering right at the edge of the rules, please do not push it over.

B

Comment

gursis11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
On the Mac App Store there's a free app called SmartConverter, the free will do the track but there's also a pro version. Use it all the time. Takes about 40 minutes for a 1.4 GB movie to convert in slowest speed (high video and audio quality).
There's also AnyVideo converter on the MAS. You can choose a specific format on that.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.