Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dipaliP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I have following string
NSString *stmt = [NSString stringWithFormat:mad:"INSERT INTO table (.....) VALUES (....), fields, values];
now i want to store this string into 'static char' variable as i want to insert some values into a table using sqlite3.
I am using following to convert string to 'const char'
const char *sql = [stmt UTF8String];
but i haven't get any idea to convert string to static char.

Any suggestion is acceptable.
Thanks in advance.

jaleel

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
I have following string
NSString *stmt = [NSString stringWithFormat:mad:"INSERT INTO table (.....) VALUES (....), fields, values];
now i want to store this string into 'static char' variable as i want to insert some values into a table using sqlite3.
I am using following to convert string to 'const char'
const char *sql = [stmt UTF8String];
but i haven't get any idea to convert string to static char.

Any suggestion is acceptable.
Thanks in advance.

Diear brother i also facing this problem.. if you get any idea to solve this problem.. pls tell me dear......

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
call me stupid, but isn't a CHAR(acter) only ONE character. so you can only store an entire string in multiple char-variables, not in one, can you?

what does work is
Code:
unichar something = [yourString characterAtIndex:0];

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
call me stupid, but isn't a CHAR(acter) only ONE character. so you can only store an entire string in multiple char-variables, not in one, can you?

what does work is
Code:
unichar something = [yourString characterAtIndex:0];

Ah yes char is a single character, but a char* is a pointer to a character. Or the start of an array of characters...

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
First, let me recommend that you don't do that. Store your string as an NSString and convert it to const char * with [yourString UTF8String] at the moment that you use it. Why do you want to 'convert string to static char'?

Second, if you really want to store a char array then that's easy. Allocate your char array, with malloc or on the stack or as a global, and then strcpy the bytes from [yourString UTF8String].

Code:
strcpy(mycharbuffer, [yourString UTF8String]);

Third, use FMDB for sqlite access. It will make your life easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.