Convert NTFS to FAT32??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mark Morb, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Hi,

I'm intending on buying an iMac in a few days, just waiting for Macworld to come and go.

My question is this. I currently have 3 external Hard Drives on my PC. 2 x 360GB and 1 x 500GB. These contain MP3's, Photos/Videos, FLAC (Uncompressed Audio) respectively. Each disc is probably around 2 thirds full. They are all in formatted to NTFS.

Is there anyway that I can convert them to FAT32 without losing the Data so that the iMac can Read and Write to them when I swap them over to the Mac? (and is this even a good idea as I understand that FAT32 is extremely inefficient with volumes of this size)

The only alternative I can think off is to copy everything from the disks to the internal mac drive, reformat the USB drive for the mac and then copy everything back...sounds like a pain in the ass!!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark Morb

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can do it with PartitionMagic in Windows XP. There is no equivalent (as usual) in OS X.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Easiest solution would be to install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G on your mac.

The 4GB file size limit always comes back to kick me square in the ass every time I switch my drives over to FAT32. Something to consider.