Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So I picked up a Power Mac G5 a few weeks ago. DP 2.7GHz 2005 model, 8GB of RAM, 500GB HDD. I was able to install the OS, but when I tried to run Software Update, it kept freezing. I cracked it open and noticed that there was some corrosion inside. AFAIK, the machine will still boot, but I don't want to fire it up until I fix the issue to avoid further problems.

I think what is happening is the the processor is overheating and shutting down. I couldn't figure out how to get the cover that says "G5" off so I can't get pass that.

I was reading that someone successfully converted a 2004 model to Air Cooled, but theirs was a 2.5GHz model. I have the Early-2005 2.7GHz model. Would it be possible to do the same thing or might I run into problems of heat due to the higher clock speed? Also, did they redesign the heat sinks?

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
The pin to take off I believe people have drilled them out with those C things that you screw into walls but screw that into the center of the pin in the right hand corner of the G5 label and you should be able to get that out, then slide the metal to the left till it unlatches.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Replacing water-cooled with air-cooled wouldn't be very wise. You would most likely end up with a much hotter system, resulting in more crashes and hard shut downs.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I ran the heat sinks off air cooled g5s on my quad core. I think I have a thread on it. There are also two types of liquid cooling systems, one had 2 pumps and the other had a one pump system.

I think I even attempted to use different heatsinks/fans from other CPUs that had more pipes on it for better transfer to the fins.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So, today I've been dissecting the G5 (by dissecting I mean I finally got the damn heat sink cover off) and got a good look at the LCS. It looks like Apple may have replaced it at some point. The beach balling probably was due to the processors overheating, but not due to the LCS leaking, no. Just a bunch of crap in the fans and radiators. It was in a very dusty environment.

I will need to take a trip to Sears tomorrow to pickup a long handle T10 screw driver to take the whole assembly off. It does show signs of leaking, although they are not that bad. All I see so far is some corrosion on the PSU (that white, kinda rice looking stuff) and some "rice" build up on one of the connections.

While doing this, I figured I might as well fix the damn thing so does anyone have a good repair guide for a dual 2.7GHz Power Mac G5 LCS? I may try my hand at it. I don't have much to loose (I didn't pay very much for it)

No matter what, a full teardown of the machine needs to be done. It just bugs me to see a computer this dirty, plus its good practice if I ever do get a G5. Maybe this coming weekend (hey my birthdays this weekend!) I'll tear it apart. I'll also check the LoBo while in there for damage. I don't think the liquid went far, though.

Also, does anyone have a good tear down guide?

Here are some pictures:

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

Thanks!

With that in mind, I'm back on the fence about it. It seems I would have to do a full service to the LCS every 2 years. I'm not sure if its worth it. Should I fix this one or keep an eye out for an Air Cooled model? (Probably the last Late-2005 2.0/2.3GHz Model)

No, you know what? I'll do both. Fix it, keep it, and get a high end Air Cooled model. Now to find a place for this one and the soon-to-be one.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Thanks!

With that in mind, I'm back on the fence about it. It seems I would have to do a full service to the LCS every 2 years. I'm not sure if its worth it. Should I fix this one or keep an eye out for an Air Cooled model? (Probably the last Late-2005 2.0/2.3GHz Model)

No, you know what? I'll do both. Fix it, keep it, and get a high end Air Cooled model. Now to find a place for this one and the soon-to-be one.

The heat sinks off the single CPU dual core models won't swap into the quad. Those heat sinks are a little bit bigger so the second heatsink won't fit. You'll have to get heat sinks from the single core model.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The heat sinks off the single CPU dual core models won't swap into the quad. Those heat sinks are a little bit bigger so the second heatsink won't fit. You'll have to get heat sinks from the single core model.

Oh no, its not for swapping parts. I'm keeping both machines. The LCS G5 will be a weekend project of sorts and the Air Cooled model will probably sit next to my Mac Pro as my fast and reliable PPC machine.

Does anyone know of a good Cooler Fluid for the G5? Preferably from Amazon?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Oh no, its not for swapping parts. I'm keeping both machines. The LCS G5 will be a weekend project of sorts and the Air Cooled model will probably sit next to my Mac Pro as my fast and reliable PPC machine.

Does anyone know of a good Cooler Fluid for the G5? Preferably from Amazon?

I used Feser One. Non corrosive and non conductive of electricity so if by some chance it does fail, it won't hurt any of the components. I also used clear tygon tubing and just reused the old clamps on an older g5 computer.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I used Feser One. Non corrosive and non conductive of electricity so if by some chance it does fail, it won't hurt any of the components. I also used clear tygon tubing and just reused the old clamps on an older g5 computer.

Your G5, did it had the metal tubing like mine? If so, why did you replace them with new tubing?

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
For anyone that wants to know, i upgraded a DP 2.5 to air cooling. All i did was swap the heatsinks that are the copper base with heatpipe design. Took off the LCS that was defective and put the heatsinks on. Kept the small single pipe heat exchanger as default and that was it. Ran the ASD 2.5.8 cd and everything ran fine. There was no real difference in heat as Apple said there would be. My idle temps were around 35 - 40 degrees celcius, and peak was at around 60 - 65. Sure the fans would ramp when i would do anything task hungry but then it would quiet back down.

P.S. more information on what i did on iFixit

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
Replacing water-cooled with air-cooled wouldn't be very wise. You would most likely end up with a much hotter system, resulting in more crashes and hard shut downs.

Agreed: Air-cooling it would be a disaster. You can repair the liquid-cooling system in a variety of ways. For a small leak, some epoxy putty, used to patch a radiator, can work.

Apple should have made the piping out of titanium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.