Convert read only DMG to Read-Write

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Me1000, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

ok, So I have a read-only DMG that I need to be able to edit the contents of.
    I have duplicated this image as many ways I can think of.

I have used Carbon Copy Cloner to create a (Read-Write) sparse image of it, when I get info on the DMG it says I (my user) have read-write access. However I dont! ugh!

I tried to "Convert" it to read-write using disk utility, no luck...

I even went to the specific folder I need write access for and tried to chmod it (777) and it comes back, "Read-only file system"

How do I convert a Read only DMG to a Read/Write disk image?

Thanks,
    :)

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-Zir4; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

Make read/write image.
    In Terminal, "cp -R /Volumes/oldDMG/ /Volumes/newDMG/"

3. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Should I mount the DMG first then use the location of the mounted image, or the actual location of the image on the drive...

EDIT:
    Simpler,

should I drag the white icon to the terminal, or the white icon with a hard drive on top of it?

EDIT2:
    rereading it, it looks like I need to drag the mounted image, question is, how do I define the location of the actual DMG for read-write version?

4. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

ok I did a straight DMG copy, where I actually dragged the .dmg file onto the terminal, but that gave me the same results as before, When I get info it shows I can read write, but when I mount it, I still doesnt give me write access!
    :eek:

EDIT:
    ok, I used a little app called DropDMG to convert it to read-write.

Thanks anyway!
    :)