Convert stereo to mono

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ghoztman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ghoztman macrumors regular

Why you ask? :eek:

I am dying to get myself an iPod Touch. The thing is I am profoundly deaf in one ear so using headphones has never been an option. I only get the hi-hats or the vocal in one ear. It's very irritating.

I would like to know if converting stereo to mono is a feasible idea and a simple enough process.

Thanks and regards.

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Rather than spend quite some time converting all your song files to mono, you'd probably be better off using some slightly adapted headphones. A simple short on the headphones L&R channel wires would do the trick. It's a bit of a hack, but would work fine.

3. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

That would be optimal because I could still appreciate *some* stereo if used in a docking station or other player.

I'll look into this, thanks.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You could try using something like this product from Sennheiser:

http://sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=005248

There are probably other manufacturers that make such products (with separate right/left volume controls, or otherwise functions as a "stereo balance control", et.), but this is the only one I could easily locate. If you have a Radio Shack in your area you might try there for example... or buy components from the Shack to build one, etc.