Convert SWF to AVI or MP4... please help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MIDI_EVIL, Oct 16, 2012.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Is anyone aware of a 'free' app for Mac that converts SWF files to either AVI or MP4 for playing on a PC...

I've spent an hour on Google and the apps I've tried either watermark the output video, or give an AVI file with no video just audio.

This is for my partners class that she teaches, so it has to be free, and it's gotta be done by tomorrow!

2. floh macrumors 6502

SWF files can contain very strange codecs. Most free programs for video conversion are based on the ffmpeg library, and if this library can't read it, you'll probably be out of luck on the "free" side...

You can try if VLC will play the file. It also uses the ffmpeg library. If it does, you might not even have to convert it (it's a great player, available for every platform) if you just want to show the video. But: If it works, you can either use HandBrake to convert the video or try the little tool Video Container Switcher that I wrote to just change the container (.swf into .mp4 or whatever) without reencoding. Both just use the same library as the VLC player.

Good luck!

3. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Thanks for replying! I didn't see your response in time, so what I did was a screen capture of the video and recorded the audio using Audio HiJack, and then sync'd them up in FCPX.

Thanks though!

4. MIDI_EVIL, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013

MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I did try HandBrake but the file was not recognised...

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

SWF is just a container that denotes it's Adobe Flash. It's not a video codec - there could be just about anything in there!

Glad you found a workaround.