Convert TimeCapsule Backup From one Computer to Another

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BSQRT, Oct 9, 2012.

1. BSQRT macrumors newbie

Recently, I purchased a new macbook pro(13", mid 2012, osx 10.8.2) to replace my 2008 macbook (13" 10.7.6). I used migration assistant to transfer everything over, and that part worked well. My time capsule(shared with several other users) is near full. It can't add my new laptop to its backup, because the time capsule thinks it needs to preform an entire system backup first time round. I have less than 20gb free on the time capsule and over 100gb on my hardrive. Most of the information on my new laptop overlaps with that of the old one, which is no longer backing up and out of use.
    Is there a way I can make the time capsule "piggyback" off of the original existing sparsebundle and pick up from there?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I used migration assistant with my old Macbook in target disk mode to transfer everything over. The first time TM ran, it asked me if I wanted to "adopt" the existing backup. It warned me I couldn't go back and use it from the old machine. I said yes. I thought everything was fine until a few weeks later it said the backup was corrupted and it needed to "start over". I said yes. I thought everything was fine until I came back the next morning to find a login prompt. My MBP had rebooted overnight, probably about the time the backup would have finished. I decided to take matters into my own hands and I went over and renamed the old sparsebundle to sparsebundle.NOT. The next backup went flawlessly and completed in about 1/4 the time. When I get around to it, I'll go in and delete the old sparsebundle. I don't need versions of files going back 2 years (the last time I reset a TM backup and started over).

I suggest you CAREFULLY delete the sparsebundle completely and start over rather than "adopt" it which might set you up for a ticking time bomb leading to corruption at a time when you least expect it.