convert to .wmv?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by comebackdwn, Jan 18, 2008.

1. comebackdwn macrumors regular

does anyone know of any free programs that will give a good quality conversion to .wmv?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't think there is a free conversion utility. The cheapest I know of is the combination of Flip4Mac WMV Studio and iMovie or QuickTime Pro. Perhaps, you should explain why you should explain why you want to convert to .wmv. There are other formats which virtually every computer user can play out-of-the-box. WMV is not one of them.

3. aschuett macrumors newbie

I would assume you're not, but just in case - if you have a Windows box somewhere, there is a free Windows Media Encoder that will likely do what you want. And it's free (if you call running Windows "free")

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Just an FYI, You don't need Quicktime pro to encode with Flip4Mac WMV Studio. A coworker of mine bought it, and it encodes just fine with regular quicktime.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

VisualHub, $20, well worth the money, will convert to all types of formats including wmv, and will allow you to customize almost all aspects of the conversion, from aspect ratio, to frame rate, to file size.

Brian

6. avramd macrumors newbie

What formats can the average Windows box play w/out needing any additional software?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can find the default formats supported by Windows Media Player here.

8. Toniola macrumors member

I've never used it, but this site says it will convert stuff for you:
    http://www.media-convert.com/

Other than that, there's really no free wmv/mac conversion software. I found Flip4Mac to be the best, and worth the extra $ over Visual Hub...IMO.