convert USB speakers to bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacPC, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MacPC, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

MacPC macrumors regular

Hi, I have a pair of LogiTech speakers. It has only a USB to plug in my Macbook.

No line in, no 3.5mm jack nor RCA jack. It is a decent pair of speakers and I would like to convert it to bluetooth capable.

What I need is a Bluetooth receiver, I guess. A receiver that can output audio via USB to the speakers and gets power from the USB on the speakers, battery or external power supply.
    I don't seem to be able to find a device like that after googling. Does a device like this exist? If so, what is it called?

2. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

It is called a computer. I doubt any other solution will work. If you REALLY like your Logitech USB speakers go buy something like the Raspberry Pi, a USB hub and a Bluetooth adapter and stream the audio over Bluetooth. That said though I highly doubt that it is cost effective given that Logitech USB speakers are typically quite cheap.

3. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

How would a computer help? DA?
    I figured out how I can get this done.
    I don't know about the others, I did not grow up with the mentality of throwing things away, not to mention I spent a bit over $100.00 for this speakers few years ago and the speakers are in perfect condition. With a little thought and modification internally, I spent less then $10.00 converted it into a bluetooth speakers, which can be used on my Macbook Air, iPhone and iPad. :)

4. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I suggested a computer because you asked for a Bluetooth receiver that outputs via USB. I suspect you didn't solve that problem but instead just removed it all together. If you did find a way to convert the USB input to Bluetooth for cheap you should share what you did as its a fairly common question posted on various forums.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

There's going to be bandwidth and power issues.

6. MacPC, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Most speaker system have either aux in or line in or both, but not the Logitech I have. I took the circutries out and traced down where the audio to the amp is, soldered a 3.5mm aux input, (something Logitech should have done in the first place) I bought a bluetooth audio receiver from Amazon, the receiver has a 3.5 mm and RCA aux output . It works perfectly! :)

To accomplish it with a computer, I would have to do it on a software level, write a software converter which is over killed.

7. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Thats what I suspected. Nicely done though :D