convert video files so they work on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pound4pound30, Apr 14, 2010.

1. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

is there any way to do this or a free program to be able to do this?

a few videos wont work on my iPhone or iPad. Help

plus they are in iPhoto

2. pound4pound30 thread starter macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

is it easy to use?

thanks

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If the files are already in an QuickTime compatible format (mov, mp4, m4v), simply drag them into iTunes, then goto the advanced menu and select, convert for iPhone/iPod or iPad/AppleTV, and they will be modified to work.

Otherwise, you will need to use Handbrake or FFMpeg.

TEG

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Extremely.
    Point it to the video you want to convert, select iPhone preset, select Start, wait.

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Air Video - lets you manage conversions from their iPhone app and you can also add the videos to iTunes afterwards. No skiddling about with settings at all.

6. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Does that mean I can delete the original from my hard drive after iTunes makes the conversion? The original .mov file is huge (33g), gobbling up valuable real estate better suited for something else.

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Good Lord, 33 GB? Yes, if the original file is something replaceable (like if you have the original DVD or whatever), you can delete it from your hard drive after it's been successfully converted. If it's not replaceable, I'd be hesitant to remove it simply because you can't get it back if you ever need it again. Be sure to test the converted file to make sure it converted the entire original file and that audio/video is synced correctly the whole way through, too, before deleting the original.