Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neo91

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Hi,

I have a questin about converting videos on the new iMac! I think it would be the hardest thing which I would do with a mac!
1) What Programm coud/should I use for Conveting my own DVD into the iPod Format or to convert Dvd's into MPEG/AVI???
2) How long does it take for a ca. 90minutes video to convert it with 1GB or 2 GB or 3GB RAM??? And 2.4Ghz CPU!!!

Thx

bye

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
I use handbrake to rip my dvd's onto my compy. you can see my specs in my sig, and it takes about 30-40 minutes to rip a 90 minute video at pretty high quality(about 1-1.5Gb per movie). Handbrake is extremely easy to use though. Just pop in the dvd, launch handbrake(or set handbrake to launch when you put in a dvd), select your dvd drive, scan the disc, it will usually pic the longest part of the dvd(the feature), and then just change your audio and video quality settings, and hit rip. If you are looking to rip the whole dvd with menus and everything into like a 5gb file...than handbrake isn't what you want.:apple:

EDIT: I just updated it after I posted it, and there is even presets available now for all different way to rip it in
example:
iphone/ipod touch
ipod high-rez
ipod low-rez
ps3
psp
quicktime
AppleTV
Animation
and more...

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Handbrake is the best one I've used so far. It's fast, stable, you don't have to scavenge "questionable" websites or torrents for the proper encoders/decoders. Oh, and it's free.

The best part, it is ultra easy to use.

I've had some luck using VLC for transcoding my older formats. (which is also free) But VLC is mainly a player (though, an excellent one), it only encodes and transcodes as a side job.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I use Handbrake. To convert one movie on my Macbook (2GHz, 2GB RAM) it takes around 30-40 minutes!

iSquint and FFmpegx can convert videos. iSquint will convert a video into iPod format, FFmpegX will convert to any format (including ipod). I use both. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.