Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malcg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Northamptonshire, UK
Hi
Been searching the forums but although the problem is noted not solution has been posted that I can find, can anyone help.

I am using iTunes 8.0.2 (20) on a G5 iMAC with OS X 10.5.6. I have a video that plays fine in iTunes and on AppleTV.

KIND: MPEG-4 video file (mp4), Profile: Low Complexity, Channels: Multi, Bit Rate: 223 kbps, Video Dimensions: 720x304, Video Codec: H.264.

When I convert using Advanced->Create iPOD or iPHONE Version it appears to convert the file fine giving the same as above but Channels: Stereo, Video Dimensions: 640x352, Video Codec: H.264

Only on problem .... I get perfect stereo sound but the video just shows a white screen on bith iTunes and the iPOD I try to play them on.

I have also tried with QuicktimePro and the Windows version of iTunes with the same effect .... missing something here ... is it a codec issue?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards
Malcolm

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Try converting the movie with HandBrake instead. There's a preset for iPod video, as well a little checkbox to ensure iPod 5G support if you have the first video-enabled iPod.

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
yeah, use any other file converter.

i had a great file converter before, but i am so mad at myself for forgetting what it was called.

it had options for stuff like iTunes video, iPod/ iPhone video, and tons of strange formats too.

i recommend going to download.com and searching for a file converter. all of their downloads are virus, malware, spam, etc.. free.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
I use iSquint for this, but really... it's a prominent menu item in iTunes, it shouldn't fail so miserably at doing what it says it should. It would be much easier to just have a version made within iTunes than having to find the movie file in the Finder, toss it into iSquint, export to the desktop, drag into iTunes, then delete the desktop file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.