Converted Flac files on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Phillyabe, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Phillyabe macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have purchased downloaded songs, albums etc. that were in FLAC. I converted them with FLUKE so that I could play them in iTunes. My problem is that when I sync my iPod (30GB Video Version) it won't allow the converted songs onto my iPod.

What can I do, if anything?

Thanks for any help.

2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

3. Phillyabe thread starter macrumors newbie

Every time I try to download it, a safari page pops up full of letters and characters but no application?!?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ah the dreaded MIME type error in Safari. I'm going to suggest Max instead.

5. KelchM macrumors regular

Right click the download link and click "Download Linked File"

Personally, I prefer XLD to Max. Particularly for ripping.

6. Phillyabe thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I left my iPod at work and don't have it to see if it worked. Thanks for the help though.

7. KelchM macrumors regular

This won't work because Fluke itself doesn't actually convert the FLAC files. It just allows itunes to play the FLAC files via a QuickTime Component.

iTunes is going to choke on transferring unsupported files to the ipod. Even if it would, you wouldn't be able to play them anyway.

You need to use Max or XLD to actually convert the files to a compatible format like Apple Lossless.

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That's not true. I used Fluke to convert FLAC into Apple Lossless for 6 months then I found Max (which is better).

Fluke will import the FLAC file as a quicktime file into iTunes. Once you have that quicktime file in iTunes, you just convert the quicktime file into Lossless, MP3, AAC, etc.

Don

9. KelchM macrumors regular

You are misreading what I am saying.

Fluke itself does not do any conversion. It simply an automation of the process outlined here.

Basically, it installs a QT component that allows quicktime to play FLAC and then tricks iTunes into loading FLAC files.

Once the file has been added to the Library, sure you can get iTunes to convert it to whatever format you want. Its pretty clear to me that the OP did not understand that Fluke wasn't actually converting the files itself.

I could be wrong here, but I believe if you convert the files within iTunes using Fluke as the intermediary you will loose all the tags. Seems like a real pain to me when either Max or XLD make it really easy.

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You'll lose all tags except, song title, Album, and Artist. So it can be a PITA. Like I said earlier Max is better then fluke. But fluke works as a last resort. I would be happy with Fluke, except I like to have every little piece of info for my songs (composer, copyright date, release date, BPM, etc.) so max wrks better for me. Sorry, I did misread what you said. Fluke is an intermediary. It would be nice if Apple supported FLAC in iTunes, but unfortunately they don't.

Don

Din