Converted higher bit rate songs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhjapple89, May 22, 2010.

?

Who converted all their higher bit rate songs to 128 ACC for their iPhone?

1. Yes, I did.

34.3%
  2. No, I didn't.

61.4%
  3. What does bit rate mean?

4.3%
  1. dhjapple89 macrumors member

Who here converted all their songs to 128 bit rate to put on their iPhone?

Just wanted to take a poll to see.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I did. I'm generally listening to my iPhone using headphones anyway. It's not like I'm ever hooking it up to really nice speakers.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Some of us have really nice headphones. :D

6. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

No, 128 is horrible and we're in 2010 now. I just rip stuff using iTunes Plus settings.

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have for my iPod touch and I also set my wife's up on her 32gb touch too. It sure does help save space and the quality difference doesn't really bother me.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No I haven't and probably never will. I still have over 3000 songs on my iPhone. I rarely listen to music on it anymore as it is.

9. philipk macrumors 6502

Of course I converted as it saves a lot of space.

The way 99.99% of us use the iPhone/iPod touch for music you will almost never hear the difference.

Even with the best headphones, ambient noise will more than mask any difference that you will hear.

On the go, I use 128.

At home, I use 256 while listening to my stereo as background music.

At home in my basement sound room for serious listening with my high end stereo, I use vinyl or CD's. I don't even have a way to use my iTunes on that unit.

It's just like people who claim to hear a difference using Monster Cables vs. ordinary same size quality cables.

Its in the head and no where else if you think 128 is crap while using the iPhone in its normal habitat.

10. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I use it because I have no space. I don't notice the quality loss when I am commuting and I don't mind the wait as it transcodes but having to "Determine gapless playback information" is annoying and slows itunes down dramatically.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. trajen macrumors 6502a

I have some pretty good in-ear headphones and I can tell a difference between 128k and 256k. Bass is stronger and "thinner" sounds are amplified in 256k. So no, I don't convert to 128.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Ugh, no. I can tell the difference and it irritates the life out of me. I do restrict the number of playlists I have on my (32GB) iPhone because of the larger filesize (and because of the amount of other stuff I have on it), but I want the songs that are on it to sound damn good. They're all 320k or Apple lossless. Ditto for my 16GB nano, which is the primary iPod I use in the car.

14. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I have been buying all of my music in CD for the last 5 years. I originally ripped in 128 AAC. But after the option to rip in iTunes Plus came up, I started to rip in that. So, for the most part of my library, it's 128. But hey! I Still have the original CDs if I ever want to go with a higher quality. This has probably been the best thing I've done as far as keeping physical media besides a massive DVD and BD collection. :D

15. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

I thought about it but the process takes entirely too long to complete

16. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You just need to set aside a large amount of time for the first sync and subsequent ones don't take anywhere near as long. I let mine complete overnight and now it's no big deal apart from the gapless playback bit.

17. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Well, you would if you had Apple TV feeding an external high end DAC, and CDs ripped straight to Apple Lossless. I haven't played a CD in years.

For the car 128 kbps is fine, although I would prefer they added an option for 256 kbps for headphone listening on travels.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's usually not noticeable. If you've got the smallest capacity iPhone/iPod then downconverting the songs when syncing is the best thing in the world.

19. Orli155 macrumors newbie

I did, I had 6.6GB of music and it only saved me 500mb of space, I didn't have any space at all on a 8gb left so it was good.

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Your original songs probably weren't high quality ones to begin with; so their file sizes weren't that big. Therefore, you only saved a little space as noted.

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, I have not. If I ever ran out of space on my 32 GB iPhone I would consider it for some of the music I listen to less frequently.

I'm actually planning to go back and re-rip my CD collection at 256Kbps AAC sometime. The difference in quality is definitely noticeable when played through my car stereo.

22. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

I still do not understand why itunes doesnt offer more variables in terms of moving music to your portable device and also converting it.

For example. If my audio is already AAC or MP3 i dont care what bit rate it is, i do not want to convert it because converting a lossy format to another lossy format is not a good idea to me

However, for my lossess ALAC audio, i would like the option to "convert ALAC to 128, 256, or 320kbps AAC format"

128 is just too low, so give us options, and also having the conversion apply to such a broad range of formats and bitrates makes it useless to me

23. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I DID! I've actually been doing this for a long time now. I use the Apple Buds so 128 kbps VBR sounds great to me.

24. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I also notice the difference. I have left all of my iTunes at the 256 but when I rip my CD's I rip at 256VBR...this actually saves a little space but keeps the high quality sound. The tin sound produced by the 128bit rate is very noticeable on Bose speakers and systems when I hook up. I am still able to carry over 1000 songs which is impossible to listen to all at once.

The other downside is if you convert to 128 then you are doing one of two things, you now have to store a low bit and high bit song or you are deleting something that you paid for in iTunes. With an 8tb Drobo to store all of my media, I keep it all at 256 or higher and do not want the low end stuff:D

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes.

Good amount of my music are in loseless files. Been ripping my cds in loseless for over 5 years.

I would write to Apple about having a 256k / user selectable option though.