Converted my Dad to Apple!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themat, May 14, 2010.

1. themat macrumors member

Today is a great day, my dads been looking for a new laptop and i've managed to convince him to buy a Macbook Pro. He wanted a 15" screen but was put off by the price tag, so what were doing is buying a new 13" MBP for myself as I want a smaller screen due to constantly travelling around and he is getting my current 15" 2008 MBP. However I have two questions:

1. Can I just turn up at an Apple store to buy a laptop without having any problems with stock? I don't want anything customised just the standard 13" MBP. I know no-one will be able to tell me exactly if/how much stock they have but the point is do they keep a decent amount of stock in the back for the set non-customised MBP's?

2. As he's having my current MBP I need to clean things off it like my username and passwords etc and reset everything but without formatting the HD because I have a lot of programs he needs, so whats the best way to go about this?

Thanks for any help :)

Mat

2. themat thread starter macrumors member

3. martynjd macrumors member

Im sure you'll be fine stock wise at the arndale

4. silencer88 macrumors member

As for your other question, just go to system preferences->accounts and create a new account for him. Then, when you've finished copying your data off, just delete your account.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I converted my dad to Linux. Now he laughs at me when I complain.

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Call the apple store and ask if they have stock

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

Do you not have the install/restore disks for the programs? I would wipe the HDD clean and re-install.

8. lilo777 macrumors 603

Converted? As I understand you are glad that you managed to sell your old laptop to your dad :D Pray that the laptop does not die too soon. ;)

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

;) that would suck.

**cant you reinstall them...?